New Extreme ready to go.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter

Reaction score
Took some time today to sight in my new Disc Extreme so I could use it for the upcoming firearm deer season here in MI. I got it a couple weeks ago and just hadn't taken the time to get it ready. Pulled a Leupold VX-1 L-250 off the shelf along with Weaver bases and rings. I hate the rings but they were all I had on hand. Pics are from my phone so they are not the best quality.

1112091412.jpg

I had a hard time with the adjustments, couldn't get enough left out of it so I took the scope and rings off and switched the rings. It worked thank goodness. I think these rings are junk personally, Weaver Grand Slams I think they are called. Anyway after I got it on the target I shot a few groups with 200gr Shockwaves launched with 100grs and120grs of BH209 lit with Fed 209s. The 200 SW is my favorite whitetail bullet so I really wanted to make those work. The 120gr load provided the best groups. With some more time and a better bench and rest I'm sure I can get better groups out of her. Still at 100 yards this will kill a deer every time.

1112091407.jpg

Had a few observations today while shooting. I had two batches of the 200 SW bullets, one older and one newer. The newer bullets loaded noticeably harder and I think shot better. Sabot change, bullet change anybody know? They looked the same but I didn't have my mics with me to measure them and I shot all the old ones up.
Had to clean up the flame channel on the breechplug after 8 shots because of a hangfire and then it shot the rest of the session without a hiccup, maybe another 12 - 14 shots. I will be sure to clean it up before Sunday. I swabbed the barrel one time with a dry patch just to see what it would bring out when i pulled the plug. Not much really, I just love this BH209!

These are the sabot bases of a 120gr load on the left and a 100 gr load on the right. Not a lot of difference.
1112091409.jpg

Now this I found interesting. The left sabot is 120gr loads with the old bullet/sabot, the next two are 120gr loads with new bullet/sabots, and the right is 100 gr load with the new bullet/sabot. The old sabots only had one petal left on all of them. Did they degrade or is it a new material in the new sabots?
1112091410.jpg

So to sum it up I think I have a winning combo for next Sunday. We've got a few great bucks walking around just out of bow range that are in for a surprise. I will post hero pics if I manage to score.
1112091414a.jpg

The 200 gr Shockwave, 120 gr BH 209, and Federal 209A primer is the most accurate load that I have found for my Knight DISC. It is SMOA. My sabots look the same as yours. The funny thing is that when I shoot the 200 gr XTP behind the same powder charge all the petals remain intact. I am going to use the 195 gr Barnes this year. It is just a little less accurate running 1" to 1 1/8" groups. Good Luck on Sunday. I have to wait till 11/21.

I have the same muzzleloader. I'm still trying to get to the range before Sunday. I'm going to try the BH209 after the season. I didn't like the Powerbelts I was trying to get zeroed in....I'm shooting 100 grains 777 pellets & I'm going to try Extended range 250 gr. Dead Centers.....

Shot the Dead Center Long Range 250 grain Bullets from Cabela's today at the range. Started at 50 yards & shot a nice group 1.5" - 2" high. I was also to the right on the target. Made the adjustment & moved out to 100 yards. Bullets dropped right in at 100 yards. I little windage adjustment and we are good to go.

I did have 2 hang fires. But other than thast the gun shot great. I gave it a good bath. I have one of those little canister steamers that they sale on TV (GET THE PHONE, BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE). It works really well, cleaned up the gun nice with a little solvent. I soaked the breechplug in the solvent & steamed the heck out of it.......

Sabotloader,
Had my choice between this gun and stainless with black stocks, couldn't resist the camo!

Critter

I have all SS/Black - but I really like your stock - i am thinking about sending one of the ones I hae in to get camo'ed - maybe one of the thumbholes and one standard.

How about your LOP (length of pull) - I have had to cut my stocks down - they are just to long. They are fine target shooting but when I get in winter clothing and with a pack strap on my shooting shoulder - the LOP is to loooong to get on the scope comfortably.

They are way too long for me also. I cut them down to 13 1/2" to 13 3/4" depending on the location of the sling stud. I am 6', but must have short arms.

LOP is a touch long but I've dealt with it with my Elite and seem to be ok with this one. I end up setting my scope back further than I would if the lop was shorter to make up for the heavy winter clothing. If the season keeps up like this I won't even have to get out the really cold weather gear, pretty mild so far.
Bought and tried some 220gr Knight Red Hots today, not swell. I would have to play with the powder charge to get it better and considering we're in the middle of season I'll just stick with the Shockwaves for now.
The stainless/black thumbhole Extreme is calling my name too, I think I have a sickness. :lol:

Critter

The stainless/black thumbhole Extreme is calling my name too, I think I have a sickness

I have both and really like both and welcome to the sickness - it is infectious...

jsteurrys said:
They are way too long for me also. I cut them down to 13 1/2" to 13 3/4" depending on the location of the sling stud. I am 6', but must have short arms.

My stock on my extreme is way too long for me too. Especially with hunting cloths on. When you guys cut your stocks, did you put the original recoil pad back on or did you get an after market pad. I have been doing quite a bit of research on this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Skopia

I take 5/8 of an inch off the stock. The old recoil pad will not fit properly but could be used in a pinch.

You also could sand it down to fit but the when you take the old pad off you will see the problem. It is recessed.

I have looked for a pre-manufactured recoil that will fit the cut Knight stock and have not come up with anything that is very close.

I end up ordering a Limbsaver Grind-to-fit #10541 size Small. I have a horizontal belt sander so I am able to sand the pad down to to fit very close. I then tape the butt of stock with duct tape to protect it. Then mount the pad on the stock to complete the sanding job. i am not great at it but I come out with an acceptable job.

I use the Pachmayr Decelerator Pad. I prefer it over the Limbsaver. They both work fine.

Try the 195 gr Barnes in an MMP .50/.40 Blue Sabot with a heavy charge of BH 209.

Don't mean to cut in on someone else's thread.
Could you tell me how you cut your stock? I was thinking of useing a miter saw. I do have a belt sander and I have been researching "grind to fit" pads. Pachmayr makes a pad that is .5 inch thick. The Knight pad is one inch thick. That is a half inch difference without even cutting the stock. I figure if I cut the stock a 1/4 inch, that would bring me down to about 13 3/4 inch LOP.

Skopia

The miter saw could work just fine especially if you have the correct blade. The problem might be keeping the stock square to the blade in both plains.

The speed of the blade tends to melt and pull the stock but you can manipulate that buy just cutting slow.

I use a radial arm saw and clamps and wedges to hold the stock in place on the table and against the fence.

Latest posts

Back