hangfires w/ BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new guy

Reaction score
I went to the range today to try some BH209. My overall impression is that I really like the powder but after about 6 short I started to get hangfires about every shot. How can I correct this problem? Is the problem that the breech plug is fouled too much or could it be that my primer is not hot enough? Please help me the season is this weekend... Also if I make any changes to the breech or primers will it effect my point of impact?

thank you for all the help, I really need it this time...

I forgot to add what I am shooting...
Encore w/ 100 gr by volume of BH209 and Barnes 285 gr Spitfire with a CCI primer. The primers are a little older could that be the problem also?

Bh 209

Bh 209 requires a hot primer. I use CCI 209M or Fed 209A. They are the best to use. Also check your flame channel in your breech plug. If it is dirty then you need to clean it and keep it clean.

Good luck this season.

What rogo said!

I have found standard CCI primers to not be 100% reliable, also get a 1/8" drill bit to clean out your flame channel after each group if you are having problems after six shots. The Fed 209A or CCI 209M (Magnum) primers should cure your problem. Also, make sure you use very firm seating pressure when loading.

I had my 1st hangfires with my Triumph, bh209, Nosler's and cci M's yesterday. shots 12 and 14 - quit at 15. I has used the Montana bore conditioner for the 1st time, ran a couple dry patches and loaded. Think I should have poped a primer 1st.

Was trying to get my 150 poa - hangfires do not help.

Steve

I had a hangfire the other night while hunting but I believe that was my fault.It was with a standard W-209 and BH 209
I switched to a CCIm 209 and have had zero problems,of course I take better care of my BP now also.

Like mentioned before, clean the breech plug with a 1/8 drill bit and try a different primer. I Remington's STS primer or Federal's 209A with BH209. I shoot that same load out of my Omega with STS primers and it's a tack driver. My step brother uses BH in his Encore with STS primers and has not had any issues.

Cajun said:
Like mentioned before, clean the breech plug with a 1/8 drill bit and try a different primer. I Remington's STS primer or Federal's 209A with BH209. I shoot that same load out of my Omega with STS primers and it's a tack driver. My step brother uses BH in his Encore with STS primers and has not had any issues.

I got an 1/8" drill bit yesterday
It works in my TC breech plugs but not the CVA's
The hole is smaller on the CVA's

If you get a 'welding tip cleaner' you will be covered for any size BP hole. Any farm supply or large hardware store should have one, about $6.

muskrat30

Normally it is not the 'flash hole' that plugs - it is the flash channel directly under the primer that leads to the 'flash hole'. Using a simple twist drill bit is normally the best way to clean it out as the twist drill bit will also carry the material out of the channel.

Latest posts

Back