Weighing BlackHorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbuck92

Reaction score
I want to start weighing my powder with a RCBS 502 Scale .I measure by volumn now so how will I get the correct charge by weighing it?If I shoot 100 grains of powder what will be the actual weight by my scale .All help greatly appreciated

volume & weight is 2 different critters.
If you want to start weighing your loads out, what you need to do is weigh about 20 of your volume-measured loads and average those results to get the weight equivalent of your volume load.

:D :D :D

I shoot American Pioneer Powder Gold or just the APP and it goes like this. 85 grains by volume is the same as 100 grs in my powder measure.
Hope the info helps. Good luck this season. Have a safe season hunting and getting your powder measured out right :!: :!: :!:

dont bother weighing out 20 of them. I did that once when i first started out and it was a waste of time.

I have 4 different powder measures that throw out 5 to 8 grains more or less over the other measure. I went with a TC measure that i know throws lighter charges vs the other 3 and its giving me my best accuracy.

Maybe measure out 5 loads and weigh them. But dont do 20!!

Does this weight vs volume debate really matter as long as you are consistent with volume measurements between shots

Consistent... Thats why i weigh my charges! If something goes wrong out there on the range i dont have to question my powder charge as i know they each weigh the same.

I agree, I weigh all my loads for my three muzzleloaders (and all my rifles). It is much easier to ready my powder loads at home at the reloading bench. With consistant load weights (+/- 1/2 gr.) each rifle will place the bullet at the same point on the paper for that rifle, so powder does not become the issue during range time. I use 35mm plastic film cans to store the preloaded powder charge into (for range use only) and with a small funnel pour the powder from the 35mm can into the barrel. This work great for me. Less wasted powder from playing around with a volume measure at the range, cleaner shooting area, less chance of tipping & spilling the larger powder can, quicker reloads and able to focus on my shooting more. With weighed powder loads, I feel you get much better groups which saves you money in the long run and builds confidence between you and your muzzleloader.

I did the average thing with my volume measures and then weighted them on my scale. Once I got an average weight, I stopped using the volume measure and just weighted them at home.

One thing i stumbled on with BH209 is how well it meters through a powder measure. You know, the ones used to throw powder for cartridge reloading. BH209 flows through my measure so smooooth that it is obvious that weighing charges isn't necessary to get nearly identical loads for my rifles.

I use a Redding model #3-BR powder measure is used to fill a pile of Lane's Tubes with BH 209. It is quite quick, and i am sure it is accurate. Lane's Tubes have ml marks on them and one can see that all the tubes are charged identically as near as one can tell. My load is 7ml whatever that is; right around 105g by volume of BH209.

I use these pre-charged tubes to load my rifle at the range or in the field, and it is slick, easy, and accurate.

Back