BH vs. 777

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boarman

Reaction score
Stirring the pot a bit..........

I talked about this on another post, but thought it was worth its own.

Been having trouble with Blackhorn & my new encore. All groups larger than 4". Tried everthing, new pin, sanded forarm, new trigger spring. Nothing worked

Tried some old 777 today,,,,WOW. Group tightened up to 1"

Anybody else experienced this ?

A little more info would get be helpful. Bullet/sabot combo's and how much BH you're shooting.

boarman said:

No. But it doesn't surprise me. Some guns like certain powders, some do not. What works in some, won't work in others. I don't think it's a indication of the accuracy of the powder as a whole.

You must have found the right combo !!!
I would just stick with 777 , have fun and shoot that sucker . Once you got it dialed in no reason to mess with it . NOW go hunting , shoot a big one and post us a photo !! :D

I agree, you could play around with different amts of powder and different bullets, but when you have some shooting that well with 777, sounds like a winning combination to me. I use BH 209 exclusively in my Omega because is shoots as accurately or better than 777, but if 777 was more accurate, I would probably go back to that.

And no, it doesn't surprise me that one powder outshoots another in a particular gun. They are like women: fickle.........

boarman said:

I got a little tighter groups when i change to 777 , BUT i also just started using the .25 acp conversion at the same time . I got good group with all three powders , 777 , BH and Pyrodex . But get the tightest with the combo i am now using .

I have to agree is you are getting 1 inch groups stay with the triple seven. I have more Traditional rifles which I can also burn the triple seven in, so I have not shot any Blackhorn 209 in my Knight disc extreme. The high cost of the Blackhorn 209 is almost double a pound of triple seven.

Don't give up yet on BH209. I'm thinking you need to try different primers. You must use a hot primer and not a muzzleloading primer. What primer were you using? I would try a different primer and if that doesn't produce, try a different bullet / sabot.

The first time I tried BH, my groups sucked big time, that was with Winchester T7 primers. I tried Federal 209A primers and my groups went from sucking to amazing (for me anyway). I shoot STS primers now because the accuracy is just as good and they seem a little cleaner.
Good Luck!

If your getting 1" groups with T7...why try to fix what isnt broke? Just my opinion...but I would stay with the T7 if I were you. I know some guys like to experiment with every available component they can get hold of...but really...once you hit on something that gives you MOA accuracy or less....why bother?

I know some guys like to experiment with every available component they can get hold of...but really...once you hit on something that gives you MOA accuracy or less....why bother?

`Cause a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do Flatlander, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :lol:

Are You Talking to me???????

`Cause a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do Flatlander, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
:stretch:
Flatlander do we amuse you, do you think we are funny? You just broke about everybodies heart w/ your statement. All hail the innovators and barrier pushers on this site! Keep pushing that envelope!

TJJ said:
A little more info would get be helpful. Bullet/sabot combo's and how much BH you're shooting.

I had shot 90-120 grains of BH with SST-ML and TC Shockwaves, Winchester Primers.

Yesterday I had success with 100 gr 777, SST-ML and Winchester Primers.

boarman said:
TJJ said:

I had shot 90-120 grains of BH with SST-ML and TC Shockwaves, Winchester Primers.

Yesterday I had success with 100 gr 777, SST-ML and Winchester Primers.

Were you shooting the supplied sabots? What Winchester primer, was it the T7 muzzleloading primer?

Personally, I like Pyro more than 777 and BH even more than that. I hate the way 777 fouling is so hard...I always wonder if my plug is gonna be stuck the next time I try to remove it.

Write off you experiment with Blackhorn as an expensive learning experience. I have just made a pricey mistake with Lehigh bullets, only to discover my rifle don't like em. Stuff happens

I have shot over fifteen hundred (1500) shots out of my Encore using 3-50grn pellets of Pyrodex. I then went through three and have started a fourth bottle of 3-F 777 for over additional 300+ shots using 777.

There are two things I absolutely hate about 777:
#1-If you are not EXTREAMLY carefull 777 will seize your breach plug in place like it was welded. I found this out, but fortunately I was able to get my B-plug loose but it was a world class PITA/SOB to do. To avoid it happening again, I simply loosend and re-tightend the B-plug every 5 shots religiously. I also had to coat my B-plug with anti-sieze and that was also a messy PITA.

#2-The dreaded 777 crud ring.

I no longer have to deal with eithor problem having converted to BH209 and I only use a light coating of A-S, but still loosen and re-tighten every 5 shots even with BH209..

But I will admit if my Encore CONSISTANTLY shot 1MOA using 777, I would be extreamly hesitent to change anything about that load.

Cajun,
Yes I used the supplied sabots, the red slick ones.
The primers were regular, "blue box" Winchester.

I am experimenting with different sabots, but so far when I buy sabots, they are usually too tight.

What's the "power equivalent" of BH? It's stronger than 777, right? Maybe you're "overdriving" the bullet a bit with the BH and losing accuracy. ?

1 . Teflon tape = no stuck BP EVER !!
2 . weaker primer = very little crud ring , I use a .25 acp conv. some use the vari-flame and some get no crud ring at all . I get a very small one .
3. 777 is found just about everywhere for less $$$ and you get more powder , 1 Lb not 10 oz !! I just love how much air space is in the tub of BH , But the container sure makes it looks like you getting a pound .

:roll: :roll:

777 fan !! :D :D

Latest posts

Back