.54 RENEGADE range day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k

Reaction score
I just got to have my best range day ever with this frontstuffin' beauty.this was an unfired mantle gun when i bought it and i just could'nt get it to shoot PRB very good.after doing serches and asking questions on this site i stated shooting conicals.i would shoot a box of 425g buffalo bullets bring it home,clean it, and give it 100 strokes of JB bore paste. i've done that twice now so thought i'd try PRB again.I also mounted a T/C peep sight and one small dot of white paint to that thick front blade sight.I started at 30yds. with 80g vol.T7fff speer rb sittin' on .015 t/c patch lubed with bore butter.after a ruff sight in moved to 50 yds.moved the sights a few more times and was keeping all shots within 2" of bull.switched up to 90g vol. and wow! groups shrank down to 2" groups,things are coming together now :wink: this is with an over powder wad and musket caps but i'm going to try the REM.#11 caps and standard nipple next time out.THANKS to all and this site for your help and time saving tips :wink: .....karl

That's great Karl. Ninety grains of T7 ought to have that .54 ball really hauling. You're good to go for anything out to 100 yards.

In my TC 54 cal Hawken I had real good luck using triple seven 2F, hotg shot nipples, felt wad over powder and a Hornady great plains 390 grain bullet. I think the hot shot nipples and CCI mag caps are a good way to go with triple seven.

I have four Renegades in .54 caliber and every one of them is a powder hog. They like 90-100 grains of 2f powder and a patched roundball and they will really do some shooting. Also anything you confront is in a world of trouble with a roundball out of that rifle.

Sounds like you really got that rifle tuned in. With that peep sight you are good to go out to 100 yards easy. So keep shooting and cleaning it. It will only get better with shooting.

Back