Trouble seeing the sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtire

Reaction score
Am having trouble seeing my front sight. It must be liberals or global warming I figure but was wondering if anyone knows of what color to ain’t my sight maybe or what else might help me get some kind of contrast or whatever it takes to see the @¥#^! sight?

I have tried several different colors on front sight ,but like you Im having more and more trouble seeing it . Maybe we are just getting old because no color I have tried has been noticeably better then any other.I do have some improvement with the florescent fronts and using peep sights on the rear.

Am having trouble seeing my front sight. It must be liberals or global warming I figure but was wondering if anyone knows of what color to ain’t my sight maybe or what else might help me get some kind of contrast or whatever it takes to see the @¥#^! sight?
I notice toward sundown it may be harder to see the steel front site. I have tried painting either a white or neon orange on it. Works a little better. Finally decided, if the light is to low, I just don't shoot.

Yeah, I have been going to our range in the evenings when all the normal folks go home to eat supper. I will take along a gun with the "glow worm" type sight and see if that makes a difference. Maybe this is why Davy Crockett got into politics in his older years. Too hard to compete with the likes of Mike Fink and Bigfoot Mason.

I have tried several different colors on front sight ,but like you Im having more and more trouble seeing it . Maybe we are just getting old because no color I have tried has been noticeably better then any other.I do have some improvement with the florescent fronts and using peep sights on the rear.
Add me to the list. I think I've used florescent orange to front and white outline on rear. I'm thinking about peep as well. New tire let us know how you make out.

Since about all my hunting has been in thick woods in the Deep South - actually kinda similar up here - I've always painted the front sight white. It's much easier to see in shade and dim light. Doesn't work as well in direct sunlight, though. It might behoove me to find some TRUE florescent paint. I'm right eye dominant but have a blind spot in the center of the retina which makes it impossible to focus on the front. So, I no longer can shoot to the great level I enjoyed years ago.
Lately I've been relying on sense of smell, sound, vocal echos and intuition out in the hunting bush. :eek: :oops:

I've tried all kinds and color of paint on open front sights without success. For a front sight I've settled on florescent fiber optics and prefer green over orange when it comes to poor lighting conditions and aging eyesight.

In my experience, I've found that a traditional dark colored front sight is about as good as I can get. It will give you a more consistent sight picture in different lighting conditions as anything else. There are instances where a fiber optic front might help some, but as a rule just a plain old black sight is hard to beat. I sometimes checker my sights to help eliminate glare from bright sun, but that is about the best you can do for an all around sight.

Since about all my hunting has been in thick woods in the Deep South - actually kinda similar up here - I've always painted the front sight white. It's much easier to see in shade and dim light. Doesn't work as well in direct sunlight, though. It might behoove me to find some TRUE florescent paint. I'm right eye dominant but have a blind spot in the center of the retina which makes it impossible to focus on the front. So, I no longer can shoot to the great level I enjoyed years ago.
Lately I've been relying on sense of smell, sound, vocal echos and intuition out in the hunting bush. :eek: :oops:
That's what we call a Texas Sound Shot:) I'm gonna start to worry when I can't see the rear sight.

In my experience, I've found that a traditional dark colored front sight is about as good as I can get. It will give you a more consistent sight picture in different lighting conditions as anything else. There are instances where a fiber optic front might help some, but as a rule just a plain old black sight is hard to beat. I sometimes checker my sights to help eliminate glare from bright sun, but that is about the best you can do for an all around sight.
Not a fan of the fiber optics. I was sighting in at 50 yds. and hitting all over the place. this went on for many days. I was set up on a table, no shaking, could see the sights perfectly. Getting frustrated as hell. Jon finally checked the fiber optic sight and found the damned fiber was loose and moving. Took them off and installed iron sites...problem fixed.

I use a yellow sight paint on the front sight. It permits me to better align the front with the rear sights. A black rear with a black front makes it very difficult for me to get an acceptable sight picture.

I couldn't get a good pic of any sights, so I just took a small piece of steel and gave it a couple of swipes with a checkering file. A guy can do a criss cross pattern or whatever suits his needs, but I normally just give them a straight cut such as this. I hope you can see the pic.
I do quite a lot of competition shooting, as well as hunting with muzzleloaders and I have experimented with a lot of sights over the years......and nothing has worked as well for me as plain old black sights. The alterations I make on mine just help keep the glare from the sun from causing me problems.
qJDWv4ml.jpg

For me it's a Marble's white bead up front and a Marbles full buckhorn on the rear with the white diamond insert. I can use it as a "peep" or fine tune with the front bead resting on the rear adj white diamond. I've been blessed with good eyesight since I arrived on this rockpile in 1945 but started wearing glasses for far vision to drive last fall but I can still see both sights well. Thank you LORD....Mossie

I've read many posts from people who say that a tang mounted peep really helps to sharpen up the image of the front sight when eyes start getting poor.

As far as visibility in low light, IMO nothing beats a green F.O. sight. The main problem with the ones available for a rifle is that they are way too big of a reference. Many are around .060" diameter. It is best to try to use a 6 'oclock hold when they are so big.
I've also used nail polish to dab a bit of color on the tip of my front sight. I really like just plain old white when doing this, but a very chartreuse green also shows up pretty good.
I've always preferred a small .010" sight pin on my bows over the years, with red, yellow, and green, and nothing stands out better than green for me.

Not that long ago I got to where I was having trouble shooting groups at 25 yards, not to mention any farther. At 50 yards I was lucky to keep all the shots on the paper target! A friend - an amazing shot - helped me over a period of several sessions to find out what the problem was. After working with me extensively, we did find the source of the problem. It turned out that I simply can't shoot worth a sh%#. Without his help I might never have found out. :rolleyes:

Back