Range session for Velocity data

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lee 9 said:
John, he only had the normal variance with blackhorn. I also got this result with APP; its enough to really mess a fellow up at 200yds. Lee

Thats probably why JSG is fine for my use at sub 100yard plinking. I only use it for fun shooting in my 50s because its so clean and cheap.

I will have to try it now in my 45 and 100 yards just to see using some of the STS primers and my sled.

I hope to get back out today if it doesn't flood again.
I'll stick with one caliber and one bullet/sabot/primer combo this time.

That was almost exactly what I saw with JSG, huge variation in speed and bad groups.

I bet you could influence the speed based on how hard you seated the bullets and how tight the sabot was or at least that's I found.

Something that seemed to have a strong effect was how long I waited between shots and the humidity. I attribute this to the amount of moisture the residue absorbed. I could really feel easier seating one drizzly day when I set the rifle aside for a few minutes to take some notes. And yes there is a roof over the benches...

After seeing that for myself I put 3/4 can of powder on the shelf and haven't touched it since. I couldn't even give it away at the range.

Makes me appreciate BH209 that much more.

:D

I have never used APP powder but no matter what I use I set my chrony at about 7 yards and my shot variance is normally less than 25 fps.

i shot some APP 3f today in a sidelock and the group i got was simply amazing. Im looking at 1 to 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards as soon as i scoot back there.

frontier gander said:
i shot some APP 3f today in a sidelock and the group i got was simply amazing. Im looking at 1 to 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards as soon as i scoot back there.

Like I said earlier.
I can't say I was any less accurate with it.And the clean up was easy.

I'm very surprised by the velocities for the 70 and 80 grain charges of BH209 and 250 grain bullets.I expected higher.I shoot weighed charges of Swiss 3f black and 70 grains of it under a 250 grain Hornady XTP in a Harvester crush rib lit by a CCI musket cap hits 1560 fps from my Black Diamond XR. My chronograph is an F1 Chrony set at 20 ft from the muzzle.Velocity deviation shot to shot averages 10 fps.By the results listed , I'd need 80 of BH209 to get that. 90 grains of Swiss 3f and a 250 grain XTP gives 1780 fps again from my Black Diamond XR.

Latest posts

Back