Thors are in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Got my order of 247gr colorado thors in today. In my cva hawken and cva mountain rifle the .500" thors are to big and i had to use a hammer to get them seated. Im not sure whats going on with those 2 rifles. They fit loose ( you can knock them off the powder charge) in a .50cal cabelas hawken. That one needs the .501" thor.

I'll have to see how they load in my Accura. Probably going to be to loose but we will see.

I got my bullets today so i took a Cabelas Sporterized Hawken .50cal out to my 100 yard range. My first shot was at my sand bucket so i could recover the bullet ( I did!!) and my next 3 shots were at the target.

I ordered the .500" 247gr Colorado Thor and on a clean bore, they will lift off the charge but once you foul it, they stay in place tight. This rifle will be using a fouled bore during hunting season.

247GrColoradoThor004.jpg

247GrColoradoThor009.jpg

Accuracy - My first outing i was pretty over heated with firing 3 rifles and getting everything on.

First 3 shot group @ 100 yards.
I was damn happy with this group because this rifle has a 1:48 twist and supposedly wasnt supposed to do to great with these bullets. My guess is due to the length but im a believer in the words "You'll never know, Until you try"
247GrColoradoThor010.jpg

After the 4 shots, i took it home and swabbed the barrel clean and took a rest to settle the nerves and measure out more powder charges and to weigh the bullets on my scale.

I used (94 grains by weight) Goex 3f in this rifle and the fouling was very acceptable.

Accuracy again, Pretty darn awesome! I blew shot #3 probably due to running up and down the range after each shot but thats okay, thats what you do when you're in the field hunting.

Shot #1 left a big smile on my face ear to ear.
247GrColoradoThor012.jpg

Also notice the Thor bullet loading tip attachment. It does a good job and doesnt deform the bullet.
247GrColoradoThor007.jpg

Awesome shootin!! Looks like a good load!! The ML looks pretty sweet too!!

Perry

well i did recover one of the bullets today and let me tell you. They are BONE Busters! I wouldnt be affraid to shoot an elk or even a moose directly into the shoulder with a hot charge @ 20 yards.

Speaking of elk, watch for a new post on that issue!!!

frontier gander said:
well i did recover one of the bullets today and let me tell you. They are BONE Busters! I wouldnt be affraid to shoot an elk or even a moose directly into the shoulder with a hot charge @ 20 yards.

Speaking of elk, watch for a new post on that issue!!!

Can't waite!! Going to do a pine block test on my 240grn Hornady XTP's. As soon as I get a good 100yrd load! I'll keep you guys posted! FG, Like I said, that gun is a beauty!!

Perry

This is the first bullet i ran through the water jug and into damp sand at 50 yards with 90gr pyrodex rs & the 247gr Colorado Thor. Im convinced!
Bullet was .500" Dia new. After recovery it expanded to 1.17"
247Thor-Test2001.jpg

247Thor-Test2002.jpg

247Thor-Test2003.jpg

247Thor-Test2004.jpg

247Thor-Test2005.jpg

247Thor-Test2006.jpg

i wouldnt say reinventing. These are great for states that dont allow lead. Heck, my state allows lead and im using the all copper thor. Also great for states like mine that do not allow sabots.

I understand all that. I just don't understand why folks bother with spending all the $$ for a bullet that may or may not fit their barrel.

As you know,I'm a White shooter, and cast my own bullets. Some call 'em Trashcans. (thanks Chuck)

I recently came upon a new mould that casts a slightly longer bullet than the Trashcans. Size them to fit YOUR barrel,,then quit wasting $$.

This is a 3-shot group at 50 yards off the bench from one of my Super 91s sporting a 3200 Elite 3x9x40. Loaded over 70gr. of Swiss 3F traveling at an average 1311fps. This bullet casts out at 493gr.

Needless to say, I was shocked and happy at the same time. I plan on giving it the 100 yard test this weekend.

newmold.jpg

This is a Trashcan after passing thru both shoulders of a boar.

hogbullet.jpg

hogbullet2.jpg

What more do you need??

Batchief909 said:
Why are folks attempting to re-invent the conical?? :roll:

Cause it's brass, Cheif! :lol: Lead is dead!>>>>> don't cha know!!??

Oh boy,!! Let's see where we go with this!!! :lol:

That will stop any piggy in its path. Or any Gilla or maggie....

8)

I gotta leave the Vodka alone!

:wink:
I saw JJ do this once...he's my hero :oops:

:lol: :lol: Thanks Spit,,,I think... :lol: :wink:

I stumbled upon this mould. Sizin' 'em the same as the Trashcans. They're slightly longer. Ain't put the calipers to 'em just yet. I'm still slappin' myself..... :lol:

Cheif .... send me a few trashcans for a 50 Cal. elite....

Include the invoice and instructions.....I gotta try this!!!

Serious.....

I pm'd ya my address....

My sizer tosses 'em out at .5038

Ya still want some?? They shot great in my Disc Elite. :wink:

Bullet on the left was 90gr RS - Bullet on the Right was 110gr RS. I can see a difference by looking at the "star" in the middle of the bullet. The 110gr charge pealed the pedals back more.

Bullet on the left - 1.17" - Bullet on the right (110gr RS) .966" The pedals are pulled back more than the bullet with the 110gr charge.

247Thor-Test3001.jpg

247Thor-Test3002.jpg

247Thor-Test3003.jpg

247Thor-Test3005.jpg

247Thor-Test3006.jpg

247Thor-Test3007.jpg

frontier gander said:
They went 100% through a 1,900lb buffalo :shock:

What part?? Just proclaiming they went thru a 1,900 pound buffalo doesn't tell me anything. Did the bullet go thru both shoulders,,or just the rib cage??

There's ALOT of difference there.

Back