Sighted In for PA Early Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richdeerht

Reaction score
Saturday I sighted in my 3 inlines for the PA early muzzleloader season.

My Encore (.50 cal) load is a 200 gr shockwave over 100 gr of BH209.

My Disc Elite (.50 cal) load is the 200 gr shockwave over 100 gr of 777 2f. It won't reliably fire BH209 in cold weather.

My Black Diamond XR 45 (.45 cal) load is a 275 gr powerbelt over 75 gr 777 2f. It won't light BH209 in cold weather.

I expect I'll be carrying the Encore.

richdeerht - I will be out with my Knight Elite. Which breech plug was not working for you with BH209?

I tried all 3 plugs- FPJ concave, FPJ domed, and non-FPJ. All were no fire or hangfire in cooler weather and BH209.

Your mileage may vary.......

richdeerht,

Which primers did you try? I had that happen until I switched to the Federal 209A or CCI Mag, they are Hotter.

ShawnT

richdeerht

I have 3 Knight DISC's here and all of them will shoot BH with the concave FPJ, very reliably - just wish I could afford it.

Some of your hangfire problems might be more related to the sabot and the seating pressure you apply to the powder pile.

Because BH is progressive buring - it requires a tighter fitting sabot and it requires the sabot/bullet combintation to be seated tightly on the powder. If pressure is not maintain the powder will just quit buring or it will take a longer period of time to ignite fully - hang fire.

Shawn's suggestion of a hotter primer is a point that should be considered. And since you did not say which primer you might be using - that certainly could make a difference.

Another problem you should be aware of using these hotter primers creates a build up of carbon in the flash channel of the breech plug. Normal cleaning methods may not remove this hardened carbon. What I have done and suggested by many other is to hand turn a drill bit in the channel to clean the carbon. Use a bit that fits snugly in the channel.

Between the use of a tighter sabot and cleaning the flash channel - I think you will find that you can shot BH very effectively.

I'm using regular Win 209 primers.

I have not tried magnum primers, but maybe I will for next year.

Shot a doe this afternoon. Offhand shot at about 90 yards across the corner of a soybean field. I didn't even get to my spot in the woods before I saw and shot the deer.
Because of crappy weather today, I used my Disc Elite, 200 gr shockwave, 100 gr 777 2f. Hit deer in spine, so it dropped on the spot. I'd like to say that's where I aimed, but it wasn't. But I still got the deer.

Congrats on the deer. I changed my plans due to all the rain and used a stainless steel MK-85 and shot a mature doe near last light.

Latest posts

Back