Powerbelt questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Two things.

First I noticed my barrel heated up much faster shooting PB's compared to sabots. Makes sense to me that it would. I assume this is common?

Second, I had a sporting goods salesman tell me to run copper solvent through my barrell after shooting a package of PB's to clean out the copper fowling. I am not used to running any solvents like that down my barrel, is this the correct thing to do?

Second, I had a sporting goods salesman tell me to run copper solvent through my barrell after shooting a package of PB's to clean out the copper fowling. I am not used to running any solvents like that down my barrel, is this the correct thing to do?

It surely wouldn't hurt BUT...At the velocity you are shooting I wouldn't think you'll be leaving too much copper behind.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but with the Power Belts the plastic gas check is what engages the rifling. If this is true, why would you have to use copper solvent? :?:

I believe by design the Powerbelt bullet is soft enought that it upsets upon initial powder ignition and the bullet base gets large enough to engage the rifling which would cause the copper coating to possibly leave some deposits in the barrel. I have not noticed it in my rifles and have not ever recovered a shot bullet to see if there is rifling engraved in the bullet. How about anyone else?? Does the bullet engage the rifling like CVA tells me it does???

GregF said:
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but with the Power Belts the plastic gas check is what engages the rifling. If this is true, why would you have to use copper solvent? :?:

PowerBelts shoot identically for me, with gas check in place or removed.

Powerbelts are conicals; nothing special there. Like other pure lead conicals, they shorten and belly out upon firing-- the bullet engraves, the gas check does not spin the bullet. The copper plating negates the need for messy bullet lubes.

I've seen no copper in a barrel from the copper cladding.

RandyWakeman said:
I've seen no copper in a barrel from the copper cladding.

Neither have I.

Thats why I wanted to know if the guy knew what he was talking about or not.

Latest posts

Back