Knight MK 85 Blued Barrell-Walnut Stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MK-85 .50 cal barrels started out with a 1:48 twist in 1985, changed to 1:32 in 1986, and settled on the 1:28 in 1987. These were Patented Accu-Precision premium quality 4140 chrome moly or 416 stainless steel. These barrels have 6 lands and grooves. Once they settled on the twist rates the .36 cal and .45 cal were 1:24, the .50 cal and .54 cal were 1:28.

Green Mountain barrels were not used until later, and have 8 lands and grooves with 1:28 twist in the .50 cal.

Flounder; my serial number is 15170, I bought it in 1987. It has a welded stock connection block. It has a 1 in 28 twist barrel.The only negative I ever had on this gun was that if it I didnt keep the barrel covered with "sheath" the son of gun would rust to death.The very first time I took it out hunting was in the rain and I was a rookie black powder hunter. By the time I got home the underneath portion of the gun already had rust showing. Since then I leave a coating of birchwood casey sheath on it and it has never rusted further.

Thanks for the info deer655. Mine must really be an antique. It sure is a sweet rifle though. Art

deer655 said:
I paid 440 bucks for mine back in 1987. I have the walther barrel and laminated stock version. i love my mk85
How do you tell the difference if it is green mountain or not?

Latest posts

Back