T/C Hawken Problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psustang89

Reaction score
I'm shooting a flintlock Hawken that was purchased in 1987. I went to the range as I normally do before the PA flintlock season, and the gun was not shooting well at all. Shooting 350g maxiballs with 90g 3F 777. Best "group" was 8" apart at 50yds from a bench rest! Thought it was me, so I went back the next day...same thing, fliers all over the place. Any suggestions, or is it time for the gun to go back to TC for some TLC? Thanks

I have a Renegade in reserve, so I should miss any of the season at least! I just prefer the Hawken.

could it be possible your barrel is leaded up

What you might want to do is boil the barrel clean. Then scrub it with a good brush and solvent. Boil it one last time after that, and then oil the bore with gun oil. Then get some JB Bore paste and follow the directions and scrub the barrel with that. Clean the barrel one more time and try that rifle again. Also try some roundball out of the barrel. If you contact T/C they will tell you to clean the bore real good.

Are you a bore butter user?

cayuga said:
What you might want to do is boil the barrel clean. Then scrub it with a good brush and solvent. Boil it one last time after that, and then oil the bore with gun oil. Then get some JB Bore paste and follow the directions and scrub the barrel with that. Clean the barrel one more time and try that rifle again. Also try some roundball out of the barrel. If you contact T/C they will tell you to clean the bore real good.

Are you a bore butter user?

How do I boil the barrel? Can't say that I have a pot big enought to submerge the barrel. Also, how do you manage to run a brush down a barrel w/o a breech plug?

I used to shoot round balls with Goex out of the gun, and went back to it the 1st day I noticed the gun not shooting well. It wasn't as bad as the Maxis, but definitely not good either.

I'm not currently a bore butter user. I just run a T/C seasoned patch, both sides, down the barrel after cleaning.

Thanks for the advice!

Flintlock

You say you've had the rifle since 1987? I would imagine the touchhole is getting burned out, bigger than it should be. I had to change out one on one of my flinters, I built 'em in 1988.. that was one of the clues, groups got pretty big.. TC should have 'em, and instructions to change or let them do it HTH Les

Take a coffee can and put some dish soap in the can and then more boiling water. Dip a patch in that water (with gloves on). Now swab the bore with that patch. It will draw that boiling water up the bore and you then push it back down the bore. Do a couple patches like that.

Take the barrel out of the stock. Put on some good leather gloves. Put a tea pot on and boil some water in it. Take the barrel outside. Lean it against something. Pour boiling water down the bore. Fill the barrel a couple times and let it leak out through the nipple and bolster if you take the nipple out. This barrel will be hot. Keep your gloves on. The boiling water will pull a lot of fouling, cleaners, etc..

Now take that barrel back in. Put a brass brush on your cleaning rod. Dip that in solvent. Push it to the bottom of the breech and then pull it back up. Do this about ten times. Now change over to a cleaning jag. Again, a solvent patch and swab the bore. After a couple of them, start to dry patch the bore again. When the bore is dry, oil the bore and let the barrel cool. This will pull the oil into the metal pores.

cayuga said:
Take a coffee can and put some dish soap in the can and then more boiling water. Dip a patch in that water (with gloves on). Now swab the bore with that patch. It will draw that boiling water up the bore and you then push it back down the bore. Do a couple patches like that.

Take the barrel out of the stock. Put on some good leather gloves. Put a tea pot on and boil some water in it. Take the barrel outside. Lean it against something. Pour boiling water down the bore. Fill the barrel a couple times and let it leak out through the nipple and bolster if you take the nipple out. This barrel will be hot. Keep your gloves on. The boiling water will pull a lot of fouling, cleaners, etc..

Now take that barrel back in. Put a brass brush on your cleaning rod. Dip that in solvent. Push it to the bottom of the breech and then pull it back up. Do this about ten times. Now change over to a cleaning jag. Again, a solvent patch and swab the bore. After a couple of them, start to dry patch the bore again. When the bore is dry, oil the bore and let the barrel cool. This will pull the oil into the metal pores.

Thanks. I typically clean by the coffee can method, just not with boiling water. I once put a brush down the gun and had a hell of a time pulling it back out. Had to use vice grips on the rod. I'll give it a shot though...

If your barrel is leaded get some choreboy copper scouring pads(make sure that they are all copper and not just plated by using a magnet).Cut a piece of this and wrap around a .45 caliber brush so that it fits snug in the bore.Work this in and out until all of the lead is cleaned out.Slipshod

use the right size brush for the rifle, and a T handle on the ramrod does not hurt. I personally like the nylon brushes but the brass ones work just fine.

cayuga said:
use the right size brush for the rifle, and a T handle on the ramrod does not hurt. I personally like the nylon brushes but the brass ones work just fine.

I'm assuming a .50 cal brush for a .50 cal rifle??

Was this a new container of 777? What powder had you shot previously? Your accuracy problem could be as simple as bad powder.

Yes a .50 caliber works just fine. Remember... all the way down and then back up. Helps save the bristles.

I figured since he was talking flintlock, he was shooting black powder. If not, that could be some of his problem.

Back