Any decent .429 - .430 bullets for the Omega?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently got my first ML, and Omega X7 and am slowly stocking up on sabots/bullets to see what works. I purchased some MMP sabots (the green ones) on sale from Cabelas and was curious if anyone knew of some good loads for them.

Thanks!!

Hornady .430 XTP's shoot very well in my Omegas, especially the 300 grn .430 XTP with Harvester's Green sabots. The 240 grn ones shoot well too and both bullets are great for deer without costing too much.
Have fun.

44golddot.jpg

Never have used the MMP sabot, but that target was punched out by my x7 at about 101yd; shooting 105g BH209; ignited by Winchester 209 primers; using the Harvester crush rib sabot . The barrel of my rifle is very tight, and that is why i use the crush rib sabot. It seems to me the MMP may be too large for my rifle, but i can't say for sure because i have never tried them. Since i have to squint real tight to focus on the front sight, one can see the bullet is plenty accurate. Didn't start shooting the gold dot until after hunting season last year, so can't testify to their ability on deer, but i will use them this coming season.

Thanks for the replies.

ronlaughlin, which .44 gold dot are you shooting? I see that there are three weights in .44 cal, 210, 240 and 270.

Thanks again.

ronlaughlin said:
44golddot.jpg

Never have used the MMP sabot, but that target was punched out by my x7 at about 101yd; shooting 105g BH209; ignited by Winchester 209 primers; using the Harvester crush rib sabot . The barrel of my rifle is very tight, and that is why i use the crush rib sabot. It seems to me the MMP may be too large for my rifle, but i can't say for sure because i have never tried them. Since i have to squint real tight to focus on the front sight, one can see the bullet is plenty accurate. Didn't start shooting the gold dot until after hunting season last year, so can't testify to their ability on deer, but i will use them this coming season.

Ron, that is a great group with open sights. I have tried the MMP sabot and it did not shoot as well in my Omega as the Harvesters. Both the smooth and the crush rib shoot well, but the smooth does the best with 777 and Pyrodex.

Both these groups were shot with a 3-9X Leupold on my older Omega. That rifle has always prefered the .430's, but another Omega I have likes the .452 XTP's better.

I have never tried the Speer Gold Dots, but have shot hundreds of the 300 grn Hornady XTP's, and they are great deer killers too.
IMGP1866.jpg

paia said:
Ron, that is a great group with open sights. I have tried the MMP sabot and it did not shoot as well in my Omega as the Harvesters. Both the smooth and the crush rib shoot well, but the smooth does the best with 777 and Pyrodex......................................

..................That rifle has always prefered the .430's, but another Omega I have likes the .452 XTP's better.

I have never tried the Speer Gold Dots, but have shot hundreds of the 300 grn Hornady XTP's, and they are great deer killers too.

Those 44 caliber XTP do indeed shoot well in your rifle; pretty groups. They should be good for 200yd on deer. Am pleased to read they have performed well for you as a hunting bullet. I hope to try them this next season. It would seem SteveH has some good bullet options to try in his Omega.

To me, a peep sight is a 'closed' sight. Perhaps one could call it an open sight because there is no glass in the center of it. Peep sights are definitely 'iron' sights. My peep sight is made of Aluminum i believe.

paia said:
Ron, that is a great group with open sights. I have tried the MMP sabot and it did not shoot as well in my Omega as the Harvesters. Both the smooth and the crush rib shoot well, but the smooth does the best with 777 and Pyrodex......................................

..................That rifle has always prefered the .430's, but another Omega I have likes the .452 XTP's better.

Those 44 caliber XTP do indeed shoot well in your rifle; pretty groups. They should be good for 200yd on deer. Am pleased to read they have performed well for you as a hunting bullet. I hope to try them this next season. It would seem SteveH has some good bullet options to try in his Omega.

To me, a peep sight is a 'closed' sight. Perhaps one could call it an open sight because there is no glass in the center of it. Peep sights are definitely 'iron' sights. My peep sight is made of Aluminum i believe.

Anyone have a source for those .44 XTP's that have them in stock? My friend is looking to replenish his supply and is having a hard time finding them.

paia said:
Hornady .430 XTP's shoot very well in my Omegas, especially the 300 grn .430 XTP with Harvester's Green sabots. The 240 grn ones shoot well too and both bullets are great for deer without costing too much.
Have fun.

x2

That is what I have switched to due to cost. Hard to beat 50 hollowpoint bullets for $16.

Back