Traditions Pursuit G4 Ultralight load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRaymond

Reaction score
Well, I am a traditional shooter at heart, however as luck would have it, just got a brand new Traditions Pursuit G4 Ultralight. I won it at myclub's raffle the other night. I must say that I'm really liking the way this gun looks and feels. It has the silver ceracoat finish, MossyOak soft camo stocks, and a set of really nice Williams fiber optic sights on it.... a great score for a $20 arms length of raffle tickets! 

I'm excited to get this thing to the range. Any recommendations on loads for it? I have some older 209 primers lying around, some loose 777 powder, a few sabot/bullets (unknown brand-weight), some pyrodex pellets etc. I plan on blowing through the stuff I have, but would like to end up using Blackhorn 209 in this gun and a tried and true bullet/sabot combination. 

So, once I burn up the supplies I have, what type of sabot/bullet-Powder/primer combo do you guys recommend with this gun. I will likely just leave it with the open sights.

Since you decided on BH 209 that's settled. Use 100gr of that. It's hard to beat Barnes bullets. The 250gr TEZ is a good choice. They load easier. Use a hot primer for the BH 209 powder. A Federal 209a is the best choice.

You didn't say what you hunt? The above load is good for deer to elk.

I use 100 gr BH 209 with Federal Blue box primers and Hornady .452 Monoflex

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be stopping at Cabelas today to get some shooting supplies. If I decide to use pellets, what type should I try. I already have some pyrodex pellets, maybe whitehots or 777?

One of the problems with pellets more than loose powder in a crud ring. That's a very hard ring of fouling that develops right above the load. It needs to be cleaned for every shot.

The beauty of BH 209 is you can shoot 50 shots in a row with no swabbing. BH 209 is also the most accurate powder you can use. It cost more, but the advantages make up for that.

Good point. I may just stick with the Blackhorn. I have some, but never had a gun that could fire it until now. The only PITA issue I see with the new gun is the 2-piece ramrod. It's short, due to the carbine length barrel and by flipping the tip over it gives you the length to use it as a cleaning rod. I haven't checked to see if you can use it, in the short mode for loading a follow up shot. It would be annoying to take a shot, take the ramrod out, flip and screw in the tip, swab the barrel, load the next shot, repeat. I think the ramrod is designed to allow a 2nd loading and proper seating of the bullet without having to extend it because the powder and bullet will take up the space in the barrel. I hope that is the case. That's where Blackhorn might come in handy....no need to swab between shots.

I measured the ramrod. It's 22 1/2" in the short mode and about 24 3/8 in the extended mode. So as long as the powder (100 grains BH209) and the bullet/sabot height in the .50 cal bore is more than about 2 1/8 " I should be set for an easy follow up shot or multi shots at at the range without having to disassemble the ramrod each time.

MattRaymond said:
I measured the ramrod. It's 22 1/2" in the short mode and about 24 3/8 in the extended mode. So as long as the powder (100 grains BH209) and the bullet/sabot height in the .50 cal bore is more than about 2 1/8 " I should be set for an easy follow up shot or multi shots at at the range without having to disassemble the ramrod each time.
Maybe I'm not picturing this right but if it's flush in the barrel when empty and the rod is extended, what will you hold on to when trying to extract the rod from the barrel? 

Having part of the rod sticking out beyond the end of the barrel with a jag on the end, is fine as long as it's just an inch or so. Why not just get a longer rod that doesn't fold at the tip?

It is a little odd. I think it's part of the compact nature of the rifle but the ramrod is not full bore length until the tip is turned around and installed in "cleaning mode" even then, when dropped down the barrel and sitting against the breach plug, it's still about 3/4" short. This is correct according to the online manual.

Traditions is weird with their ramrods for the inlines. You can drop it down the bore and its way short of the muzzle. When loaded, my brother in laws ramrod on his strikerfire sticks out a little over 3/8" Pretty darn hard to load a stiff sabot with at the end.

It came with a little plastic t-handle that is supposed to act as a palm saver. The ramrod slides through it and it slips between the forestock and the thimble. I imagine you get the bullet started, slip the t-handle on the end of the ramrod and slide it home. I will soon find out when I start shooting it.

As a further  note on loads, my friend has the exact same rifle, and I set it up with 100grs of bh209, and a 260 or 300 gr .451 plastic tip/copper jacketed slug with black sabot, from Harvester brand ml components. I have switched to the 300 gr after shooting the  260 gr for several years, the 300 gr does so much more damage, nd is much more accurate at extended ranges, say out to 300 yds, which this load and gun will do with a Nikon Inline XR300 scope,, that has real world BDC's out to 300 yds,  in 50 yd increments. , Strong Eagle can attest to the damage it does, as he has seen it destroy a big mule deers chest at nearly 200yd! They are made here in KY where I live, and you can buy them in 50or 100ct lots and save a ton of money over the blister packs, which are 16 or 20 to the pack. Anyone can order them over the phone, just go to their website and call their number. Get the  black crush rib sabot, for .50-.45 slug combo, pm me if I can help!

I've got one too. Although mine is the original Pursuit w/o the easy turn and remove breech plug.
 Hang on to that durn ramrod,
black%20powder%20buck.jpg
son! I lost my first one and had to pay Traditions about $45 for a replacement... ouch! They think an awful lot of their stuff. But They work good!
pbucket.gif

I will have a range report on this rifle soon. I have only shot it with the federal bor-lock lead bullets. I must say that these are really accurate, easy to load, but a bit pricey for me. The gun shoots great but kicks like a mule with 100 grains of BH209 behind a 250 grain projectile. It’s a light and handy little rifle.

Latest posts

Back