Need advice for a youth hunters first muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdeiongh

Reaction score
Hello,
My son (14 years old, 6', 190lbs) wants to get into muzzleloader hunting. He has passed the California online hunting course and will be taking his gun safety course soon. im desperate to get him away from the xbox and want him to learn to love the outdoors.

I need advice on a solid rifle and any tips you can provide.

Thanks.

ML for You

ML will certainly teach him patience as oppoosed to the XBox speed. :lol: I am always of a mind to buy as inexppensive as I can to see if the kid will gewt a love for the hunting arts. Many used guns for sale and anymore all these muzzy;s are safe. :idea: Now if you want to start him and think he might want oither calibers and such, I would look at the multi purpose ML. TC Encore shoots shotgun, rim and centerfire as well as muzzy. It has a nice proice tag attached but he can branch out from the start you give him. It is a lifetime gun. And IF he doesn't like the shooting sports you can sell it for what you have in it no problem or keep it for your own self :lol: if he catches the fever, he can then grow his own gun off one frame or use it for trade or whatever. Good Luck!

I just set up a 50cal disc extreme for a friend. She has just started shooting and needed a low recoil load due to earlier shoulder problems.

I got a call from her tonight and she was really excited as the first three rounds down range gave a 1 inch group at 50 yards. This will be as far as she will be shooting where she hunts so they were really excited seeing the results. Told me she didn't hardly know it was going off.

The load
200gr TC Shockwave
blue 50/40 mmp sabot
60gr volume blackhorn 209
CCIm primer in fpj

Average MV was right at 1400fps when I shot it over my crono.

This should be a excellent load for youngsters and those who are recoil sensitive shooting short range. I would personally not shoot this over 75 yards.

DC

I bought a T/C Triumph for my ten year old son and he loves it. It's a light weight gun so it's easy for him to carry into the field. It is very well made and is extremely accurate. So far, it shoots several different bullet/powder combinations with good accuracy. It has a speed breech plug which unscrews by hand and is easy to clean. It has a camo stock with the weathershield barrel and cost $450 new. I have seen them as cheap as $250 new for the black version with a blued barrel. This was at Cabelas web site but they sold out after 3 days. T/C has a rebate on their Omegas right now and I hear that is a great gun too.

I would post your question on the NEW TO MUZZLELOADING board. You may get more responses there.

Also, I know exactly what you mean about the Xboxes. We have one too. My son loves to play them, but he loves to hunt even more. On the night before the start of the Iowa youth deer season, he looks at me and says, "Dad, I'm going to bed now. I have to get up early for hunting tomorrow". It brought a tear to my eye.

If you are looking to get a great rifle for not alot of money, it would be hard to beat this deal. This is a solid rifle, but there are others for more money as well. I am not sure if they ship to California though, as some places do not these days.

Good luck to you and your son, whatever rifle you decide to get.

http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/ ... 20254.html

Latest posts

Back