Which Muzzleloader????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyote13

Reaction score
I'm new to the Inline world and I need some advice. I drew an awesome Elk tag (NM 34) and I need a new gun. I looked at a Knight KRB7 (new)...Knight Master Hunter (new in box) & Custom Encore with a Virgin Valley Barrel (used VG condition). I never hunted with an Inline before just Flintlocks(PA)
With everything being equal witch one would you guys pick?

Thanks

coyote13 said:
I'm new to the Inline world and I need some advice. I drew an awesome Elk tag (NM 34) and I need a new gun. I looked at a Knight KRB7 (new)...Knight Master Hunter (new in box) & Custom Encore with a Virgin Valley Barrel (used VG condition). I never hunted with an Inline before just Flintlocks(PA)
With everything being equal witch one would you guys pick?

Thanks

Can I say neither?

I'm assuming that in New Mexico that anything goes? If that's the case I would EASILY pick a Savage 10ML-II/42-44gr SR-4759/300gr Bonded Shockwave....

big 6x6
I never even thought of the Savage.
I'll check into NM regs on the smokeless powder
I assume you have a Savage... if so... other than the smokeless option what make them so good? Just wondering because I need handled one

Thanks, Jon

coyote13 said:
big 6x6
I never even thought of the Savage.
I'll check into NM regs on the smokeless powder
I assume you have a Savage... if so... other than the smokeless option what make them so good? Just wondering because I need handled one

Thanks, Jon

Yeah I've owned about six of them and still have three... Basically the smokeless option IS what makes them so good. As you know an elk is big animal and sometimes shots are long. It's all about horsepower and smokeless powder delivers. You should have no problem pushing a 300gr bullet accurately to 2100fps. If the Savage isn't for you..I'd probably go T/C Encore/Omega/Triumph...

just remember that if you ever plan on hunting a state that does not allow smokeless, theres really no telling how the savage will do with subs/conicals/sabots.

What else does the savage offer other than shooting smokeless powder?

You have to ask this: How does it shoot with black powder subs, conicals, subs with sabots, ect.

The vent liner i believe it is called, i hear only lasts 70-80 shots before needing to be replaced. For me, i would have to replace them every 3 days worth of shooting.

Encore would be a nice choice and if you want to shoot smokeless, just buy a centerfire barrel for it.

I have a tc omega and if you can get one with a laminated stock "synthetic stocks on TC's are cheap and flexy' You'd have an excellent rifle.

just remember that if you ever plan on hunting a state that does not allow smokeless, theres really no telling how the savage will do with subs/conicals/sabots.

Blackhorn 209...EXCELLENT. Hornady 350gr FPB....EXCELLENT. But hey, I AGREE that the 10ML-II is for most part a sabot gun..and really needs no excuses for that. But one needs to decide exactly what it is they want.

What else does the savage offer other than shooting smokeless powder?

What else does it NEED to offer? Smokeless powder= MORE velocity/energy, INCREASED range, NO spitpatches, NO messy immediate cleanup after shooting and NO SMOKE! That's not enough? Okay then...no scope burn, COMPLETELY made in the USA, excellent customer service, typically excellent accuracy, and excellent resale value.

The vent liner i believe it is called, i hear only lasts 70-80 shots before needing to be replaced. For me, i would have to replace them every 3 days worth of shooting.

They last to as much as 100 shots.. So you shoot ONE MUZZLELOADER 8516 times a year?(365 divided by 3 times 70)

Many...MANY shooters replace the ventliners once a YEAR! I probably use 3-5 ventliners per GUN yearly. With the new bushing plugs...of course that will decrease..

Batchief909 said:
BUT,,,,,will it shoot a Powerbelt.... 8) :wink: :lol:

As long as its not loaded with smokeless.

But good point bat, Will it?

Has anyone even shot a savage with conicals and bp subs before?

frontier gander said:
Batchief909 said:
BUT,,,,,will it shoot a Powerbelt.... 8) :wink: :lol:

As long as its not loaded with smokeless.

But good point bat, Will it?

Has anyone even shot a savage with conicals and bp subs before?

Why would you want to use a powerlessbelt in a Savage? And yes I have seen others post about using subs and conicals in the MLII... but again why?

I have a conical shooter... by White. Sabot shooter... by Savage. With BH209 I could even use the MLII in states that only disallows smokeless powder.

Well if i were to spend that kind of money,i'd want it so i only have one muzzle loader only and be set for all kinds of powders sabots and conicals.

frontier gander said:
Well if i were to spend that kind of money,i'd want it so i only have one muzzle loader only and be set for all kinds of powders sabots and conicals.

What kind of money?

If I wanted a ML that would do most everything and legal almost everywhere it would be a White or a Knight... but again, why? What kind of fun is that? I like having a dedicated sabot thrower and a conical chunker.

I spent much less on my MLII then you are asking for that Omega... it came with a scope, base and rings, etc.

frontier gander said:
Good for you :roll:

What 's that about?

You make a statement of opinion not totally based upon facts... someone calls you on it. :roll:

That seems to be a trend you experience on a regular basis...

Fact is the 10MLII is no more expensive than other premium ML's... I just so happened to get a great deal off of Auction Arms on a very little used, in great condition Savage 10MLII.

So I DO think it is good for me :lol: I have harvested 4 bucks over the last 2 seasons with it... even better! :wink:

choice

Go w/ a gun that has Customer service support, a good reputation and is economical. Your 3 original choices were above average guns that will more than meet your needs in all huntng situations. I shoot a TC PRO Hunter 50 caliber. Some states do not allow Smokeless and if you look on this site that shooting has it's own listing. This rant by others is confusing to you as it would have been to me when I staryted. I am a PA hunter as well as OH. You are going to love Inlines and if you like to shoot at the range and hunt. The hard part is getting used to click boom instead of click, sssss, boom! I will be switching to BH209 as soon as I use up the T7. If you review this site and threads you will see many Elk bullets and guns discussed. Good luck in COlorado!

In New Mexico I believe sabots are legal and you are not held to shooting sabots. The rifles you mentioned are all sabot shooters. If you can use scopes, then again, any of them rifles would work fine.

Of the three you mentioned, if down the road you wanted to shoot conicals, then I would go with the Knight KRB7 as I have seen some posts about them and the ability of them to shoot conicals.

All of my opinions are from what I have read. I do not own any of those rifles mentioned. I still shoot a lot of old technology. And they work just fine. My favorite in line rifle is still a White.

"Oh and, by the way, I just happen to have exactly what you're looking for!" FG you are just way to funny sometimes. Have you thought of changing your name to Mr. Hany?

hunt

coyote
i am going through the same thing as you the only diff is i am atotal newbie
i drew also-- so aafter much lurking on this board { thanks guys!}
i settled on the triumph with a 300 gr barnes mz over 110-120gr of
blckhrn 209 or a 290 tmz barnes-same depending on wich shoots better out of it. just finished mounting the scope and will be puttin the rubber on the the road in a week or two to see how she does. at least youv shot some bp beffore but im on the learning curve
good luck on the hunt

No smokeless in NM. Congrats on a great draw. My buddy was hunting bear down there last year and saw a lot of top notch bulls.

mlaux
That is how I read the rules....but I called NM Game & Fish and they said smokeless is legal???? I going to call again and see if I get the same answer twice ... which rarely happens in PA

Latest posts

Back