Sighted in with FTX but hunting with Barnes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshsmit56001

Reaction score
I sighted in my omega with 90gr BH209 and the Hornady FTX bullets with the black crushed rib sabot. I have been reading a lot of good stuff regarding the barnes bullets but the only problem is the cost. I did not want to waste money at the range with the barnes bullets. Am I asking for trouble by sighting in with the less expensive FTX bullets but hunting with the barnes tipped bullets with the crushed rib sabot?

Thanks,
Josh

In a word, yes. A gun should be sighted with the bullet you will use as very few shoot the same some will be close others not but with a completely different structure switching with out sighting in is trouble.
If you need to hunt with out the opportunity to sight in use the bullet you are sighted in with they have had very good reports. Lee

What you should do is verify the Barnes are hitting where you aim. I have found that it works for me to do the course and fine and finer adjustments with xtp bullets, and then verify with partitions. When my rifle is shooting close, it only takes a few of the premium bullets to have the rifle 'sighted' in. Then, when i am hunting i have total confidence the bullet will hit where the sights say it should, if i do my part.

Confidence in knowing that you will hit where you are aiming is huge IMO when hunting. Do what was already mentioned and sight in the gun with what you plan to hunt with. Your gun might not shoot the barnes bullet well with that sabot or powder load. You could easily waste an animal by wounding it and not find it with a bad shot. Good luck!

I usually start off with my cheap sabots when sighting in a newly mounted scope. For me it's home cast 44cal slugs in an appropriate sabot. When things are close I switch to my hunting load & projectile. I also start with a reduced powder charge. While we have our favorites lets remember that shot placement is key. I really need to feel on the stand that bullet will go right where it's aimed. I wouldn't hunt with an untested load unless some unusual occurance cropped up.

Like the others have already mentioned, its best to KNOW where your rifle is grouping the particular loads.

When I sighted my Omega in, I planned on using the 250gr Shockwaves, so sighted it 1-1/2" high at 100 yards. I then shot 240gr XTPs, and found them to shoot into the same ragged hole group. 300gr Shockwaves printed at least 1" higher, and 300gr Barnes printed at least 1" lower than the "control load". All mentioned was with 100gr BH209 and W209 primers.

Your rifle may well be the same, but the only way to know is to shoot it.

I wont even hunt with a shotgun unless its been sighted in with my hunting load. NO WAY would I hunt with an untested ML load.

I'd sight in with the Barnes...then switch back to the FXT's, re-sight & hunt with them! :D
Lots of good results with the Hornady's man....don't be afraid to use em!

There's no guarantee at all that the Barnes will shoot like the Hornadies. They don't in my rifle. They are close, but don't shoot the same.

The Hornady FTX's cost me a little more than 50 cents each and the Barnes are about a dollar each, so you're telling me that saving a couple dollars was more important to you than making certain your rifle was on and capable of making a good, clean kill? You couldn't possibly spend $3.00 to fire three Barnes bullets and check the sights? Unbelievable :roll:

paia said:
There's no guarantee at all that the Barnes will shoot like the Hornadies. They don't in my rifle. They are close, but don't shoot the same.

The Hornady FTX's cost me a little more than 50 cents each and the Barnes are about a dollar each, so you're telling me that saving a couple dollars was more important to you than making certain your rifle was on and capable of making a good, clean kill? You couldn't possibly spend $3.00 to fire three Barnes bullets and check the sights? Unbelievable :roll:

You know you don't need to be a prick about it, I just asked a question.

Back