Here comes the dumb questions...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milsurp

Reaction score
*What is a "spit patch"?
*What's the difference between "FFG" & "FFFG"?
*Which is better- pellets or loose powder?
*What kind of recoil can I expect from a .50 cal? =12 guage or worse?

There will be more, I'm sure... :oops:

Nothing dumb about those questions...learning is why we are all here.
One answer at a time....

*What is a "spit patch"?
It?s just that, a patch used for cleaning with nothing more than saliva on it for moisture. It's run down the bore to quick clean the fouling build-up after shooting one or more shots. Some guys like to use alcohol or a cleaning solution instead of spit.
*What's the difference between "FFG" & "FFFG"?
The difference in ffg and ffg is the size of the granules of powder. The more F's the finer the mix. ffg and fffg is most comon in rifles.
*Which is better- pellets or loose powder?
You'll get mixed opinions on this question...one thing thing that you'll lose when using pellets is the flexibility to fine tune loads because pellets I believe, only come in 30 and 50 grain sizes. That's fine for rifles that like to shoot 100 or 150 gr loads but if your gun really likes 90 or 110 of powder loose powder would be the way to go.
*What kind of recoil can I expect from a .50 cal? =12 guage or worse?
That all depends on what kind of rifle and how much/type of powder, size of bullet... lots of factors. Even with stout loads and heavy bullets recoil is something I usually don't worry about much. If you are recoil sensitive just shoot a little less powder. The nice thing about muzzleloading is you can switch things around as you like powder, bullets etc...it's all up to the shooter. BTW, despite what muzzleloading industry says, you don't need more than about 80 grains of powder to have a good deer load in most cases, and at that size it's very pleasant to shoot too.

Keep the questions coming, and search the "New to Muzzleloading" page, I bet they have covered other basic questions similar to these.
Good shootin' to ya :D

Questions

Just to add a couple of things to fairchase's fine post.

fffg will give you somewhat more power and a corresponding increase in pressure on a volume to volume basis of the same charge of ffg.

Pellets will cost you more than twice the cost of loose powder on a shot per shot basis. you have to decide if the convenience is worth it. I personnaly don't see any convenience of pellets over pre-measured charges of loose powder.

Dennis

Re: Questions

denster said:
Just to add a couple of things to fairchase's fine post.

fffg will give you somewhat more power and a corresponding increase in pressure on a volume to volume basis of the same charge of ffg.

Pellets will cost you more than twice the cost of loose powder on a shot per shot basis. you have to decide if the convenience is worth it. I personnaly don't see any convenience of pellets over pre-measured charges of loose powder.

Dennis

I like Pyrodex pellets over loose powder for the increase in velocity I gain over the same charge of loose powder. It has nothing to do with convenience for me...I have a need for speed!

the rest have been answered pretty well, recoil I'd say with 100 gr loose or pellets, sort of like a 30-30. In other word LESS than a 12ga

no dumb questions when your learning. Those are all questions I asked at one time.

I have been ML'ing for several years and still have questions.

Thanks, guys.

I ordered TC "cheap shot" sabots, 240gr. to practice with.
These would not be OK to use on deer, would they?
Also, what load/bullet would be most effective on black bear?

Also, there was an article somewhere here on "What to do with
Your M/L gun, right out of the box". Could this possibly be made
into a sticky? I see meself referring to it often, in the near future...

It's late archery season, I've had lousy luck this year- Maybe you all
could wish Me up some? :wink:
Need to fill the freezer, this is one of the worst states for deer.

That's great!! For $3.99/20, I can afford to miss once in awhile. :wink:
Real nice bunch of people here, refreshing.

My cousin shot a cheap deer last year with Cheap Shots. It was a cheap shoulder shot slightly quartering towards. That cheap soft little bullet went through the skin , flattened out like a pancake when it hit the shoulder bone, slid along the ribcage, and entered the gut area. They almost did'nt find the cheap little deer. That was the last time he or I for that matter gave the cheap little bullets a second thought.

Yes, they are accurate. Yes they are CHEAP! My guns dig em'. ON THE RANGE.

This would not be my first bullet of choice for hunting. Nor would I recommend them to anyone wanting to sizzle some loads downrange. They will lead your barrel quite easily if pushed.
Some of you may like them....whatever works....
JMO :wink: :)

I ordered TC "cheap shot" sabots, 240gr. to practice with.
These would not be OK to use on deer, would they?
Also, what load/bullet would be most effective on black bear?

The cheap shots are fine for initial sighting in your scope/sights/etc. PERSONALLY...I wouldn't use them on deer. Once doesn't really have to spend a lot of money to get a good enough bullet to use on deer/black bear. A 250gr or 300gr .452 XTP would do the job. 250gr XTPs are less than $14.00/100 and 300gr are less than $9.00/50. Fifty of the 45/50 sabots...about $5.00/50. 100gr Triple Se7en ffg loose ought to do the trick..

Thanks, big6x6; I should have known that jacketed bullets would be
better for game. :oops:

I'm primarily a bowhunter, and only three years into that. I was hesitant
about using a rifle that requires a scope, (I like getting them in close)
but hey, I can shoot 'em at 30 or 50 yd- A scope will just let me place the
shot better.

Right. Like I'll pass up a shot on a good buck at 75-100yd, If I can make it. :roll:
Deer are pretty scarce around here.

After you've spent your hard-earned $ on the rifle of your choice and then placed a fine scope on it, don't cheapen-up on the bullet that will be shot out the barrel at the game. As it's been said here, spend a little more $ and use a quality bullet in that rifle. The game-animals deserve it.

Back