Knight or T/C?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Woiteshek

Reaction score
You may or may not remember my first series of posts. It was lamenting the inaccuracy I was getting with my .45 Disc Extreme. I thought I had fixed it, using a different powder, and different primers. Silly me. Missed three deer with it during our muzzle season. Sold it without delay on my return taking a serious loss. I had pretty much decided I was through with Knight. I am not interested in the Elite. I fondled a T/C stainless 209X50 Gray laminated rifle in a store 90 miles from me that I like real well. Sweet trigger and the rifle fits me. I'm going back to the 50 as I like the options it gives me. I've called the store, and they only have three of these rifles left. Apparently a limited run, as I can't find them anywhere else. I was all set to make the trip and I was catching up on the threads that I missed during hunting and saw the write up Randy wrote on the Knight Long Range Hunter. I'm assuming it will be released in 06. Now what? Wait, or make the leap to T/C?

Why don't you consider a Savage if accuracy is what your after? :wink:

Give Knight Rifles a call the Long Range may be available NOW. I for one would consider this gun as long as it's not too pricey.

From what I've heard the Disc rifles in 45cal. were real picky about loads. I think that's why you see them discounted alot. I'm sure it would be a great shooter,if you had the time to experiment with diffrent components! Ron :)

I don't know anything about the new Knight but I can speak from experience that the Encore is a great muzzleloader but if you are looking for a long-range shooter, the Omega will give you higher velocities.

I was really considering the Savage until I read the cleaning procedure. I've got to confess, I don't even know what a ventliner is. There is both an Omega and an Encore at my club. I've shot both, and the Encore has a better trigger. I had a MK 85 Knighthawk that was a dream. It was a one hole gun with pyro. I liked it so much I up graded it with musket caps, and finally 209's. I sold it because its limits were 115 grains of pyro. When the red Disc came out with the 150 grain limit on powder I felt it was time to get a new rifle and try 200 yard muzzleloading. I was really disapointed with the Disc Extreme. But because the MK 85 was such a wonderful rifle I'm willing to give Knight another shot. Having said that I can't wait long, as there are only three rifles of the model of the Encore that I like left at the store, and if Knight releases the Long Range Hunter in the fall or even late summer I'm certain that 209X50 T/C will be long gone. Hate to call Knight and pay retail, would like to see it in a store before I spend my money. Don't want to have purchased this thing and find out its another Disc Extreme with a different stock.

Lee Woiteshek said:
I was really considering the Savage until I read the cleaning procedure. I've got to confess, I don't even know what a ventliner is. There is both an Omega and an Encore at my club. I've shot both, and the Encore has a better trigger. I had a MK 85 Knighthawk that was a dream. It was a one hole gun with pyro. I liked it so much I up graded it with musket caps, and finally 209's. I sold it because its limits were 115 grains of pyro. When the red Disc came out with the 150 grain limit on powder I felt it was time to get a new rifle and try 200 yard muzzleloading. I was really disapointed with the Disc Extreme. But because the MK 85 was such a wonderful rifle I'm willing to give Knight another shot. Having said that I can't wait long, as there are only three rifles of the model of the Encore that I like left at the store, and if Knight releases the Long Range Hunter in the fall or even late summer I'm certain that 209X50 T/C will be long gone. Hate to call Knight and pay retail, would like to see it in a store before I spend my money. Don't want to have purchased this thing and find out its another Disc Extreme with a different stock.

That's the good part about a Savage you will not be cleaning it like you will all the others. The accuracy and trigger can't be touched. The Savage trigger breaks like glass and is fully adjustable by the owner. The Encore has a terrible trigger and must be sent off for a trigger job(I know I own two).

I was really disapointed with the Disc Extreme.

I know yours was a .45 Disc Extreme. Picky caliber generally. Why don't you pic up the phone and call Knight and tell them you sold your most excellent MK-85 and thought you were moving up when you bought the .45 Disc Extreme when in fact, you got a decrease in performance. They may cut you a deal on something. At the very least they may offer you a .50 Disc Extreme which should be a MUCH better shooter. I'd gie them a call...

I have no trouble with the triggers on the five Encores that we have and in truth, the Omega trigger is lots crisp enough for me and both guns shot one-inch groups. For a hunting rifle, both are excellent choices in my opinion.

From day one I have very happy with all my Knights, accuracy and otherwise.
I don't own a 45 though, but hey a GM barrel is a GM barrel regardless of the caliber. Although, I am guess the 45 and its components could be more finicky.

dwhunter said:
That's the good part about a Savage you will not be cleaning it like you will all the others. The accuracy and trigger can't be touched. The Savage trigger breaks like glass and is fully adjustable by the owner. The Encore has a terrible trigger and must be sent off for a trigger job(I know I own two).

Ditto on all the above, especially the cleaning. At the end of the day, you've already got your ramrod there. I just wrap a solvent-moistened patch around the brass brush and run it up and down the barrel a couple times. Repeat. Dry patch two or three times, and put it in the case. I don't oil the barrel during deer season. All told, I can clean the Savage and have it in the case in approximately the same amount of time it takes to load a muzzleloader for the next shot. :wink:

Virginia doesn't allow smokeless. Otherwise I'd own a Savage. I sent an e-mail to Knight regarding my less than pleasant experience with the Disc Extreme, and asked for the scoop on the Long Range Hunter. As soon as I get a reply I'll let everyone know.

I wouldn't spend a fortune on a black powder muzzleloader cause in a year or two Virginia might change the rules and allow smokeless. You know you can shoot pydrodex and T7 out of the Savage also?

Well, right now I need a muzzle loader because I no longer have one. Savage is probably the one to get but it sounds like it has issues with cleaning and most of all I don't want to have to convince a Virginia Game Warden in the field that I really am shooting something other than smokeless. Knight responded with their e-mail. They said that they were sorry that my Disc Extreme didn't work out for me, and that if I was considering long range muzzle loading that they had a .52 Caliber Disc Extreme in stock that they would be happy to sell me. As for the Long Range Hunter, they said the release would be early 2006, and would not release any information on it. Obviously I'm not connected as much as Randy. Guess its gonna be an Encore Christmas.

Lee Woiteshek said:
Well, right now I need a muzzle loader because I no longer have one. Savage is probably the one to get but it sounds like it has issues with cleaning and most of all I don't want to have to convince a Virginia Game Warden in the field that I really am shooting something other than smokeless. Knight responded with their e-mail. They said that they were sorry that my Disc Extreme didn't work out for me, and that if I was considering long range muzzle loading that they had a .52 Caliber Disc Extreme in stock that they would be happy to sell me. As for the Long Range Hunter, they said the release would be early 2006, and would not release any information on it. Obviously I'm not connected as much as Randy. Guess its gonna be an Encore Christmas.

Don't feel like you are settling with the Encore, it's a first-class muzzleloader!

If you got a Savage you can use black powder or pyrodex or smokeless if the State later changes. You cannot do that with the other muzzleloaders. The Savage is easier to clean than my Thompson Center. My TC was accurate but since I got the Savage I have never fired my TC again.

RWBinMD said:
Lee Woiteshek said:
Virginia doesn't allow smokeless. Otherwise I'd own a Savage.

They will in 2006 I hope.

It seems quite likely, and it is in process:http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulations/expand.asp?VAC=090-080

"In response to requests from the public to allow the use of smokeless powder in muzzleloaders during the muzzleloading season since it is allowed during the general firearms season the department is proposing to include smokeless powder as a type of powder legal during the muzzleloader seasons."

Since the VA DGIF department itself is now proposing the legal use of smokeless powder, it is highly likely to pass. The public debate period is long over with, and the DGIF is now recommending smokeless be made legal.

I have a TC Black Diamond XR .45 and it is very fussy about what shoots well. Once I got into Hornady SST sabots, things got a lot better.

.45's are more difficult to get working well than .50's, or even .54's!

I have a .50 Disc Elite that is accurate. I like Knight better than TC.

Well, well, well, leave it to some guy from Illinois to tell me what's going on in Virginia and turn my orderly black powder world upside down :lol: . I have to agree with Randy, Virginia will run with this. Looks like I'm gonna have to get me one of them SMOKELESS stainless 50 caliber laminated Savages...

Latest posts

Back