1.5" groups at 50 yards, not bad for first time out...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildFwl

Reaction score
Hi Again Guys, first time out with the new Black Diamond, I shot about 20 rounds today, first time ever with an ML...

Here is what I found out, this rifle shoots very well with Hornady XTP 240 Sabots and 100gn 777 Pellets, but it shoots even better with 150gn of 777 pellets, tighter 3 shot groups at 50yds...

I also shot the TC Sabots that came with the rifle, 100gn and a couple 150gn... The 100gn loads were all over the board, 150gns tightened up a bit...

How do I go about getting more flexibility with pellets? Seems my only choices are 100 or 150gn loads with these pellets? It really did not seem I needed to do much more or less than that for a hunting load...

I went through and cleaned the rifle last night, just to get familiar with everything, now tonight is the first real scrubbing....

Thanks Guys,

WildFwl

80-110gr Triple Se7en loose would probably tighten up your groups as well.

Loads

big6x6 said:
80-110gr Triple Se7en loose would probably tighten up your groups as well.
6x6, I would be willing to bet that your sugg., hit the nail right on the head, T777 tightened groups up in everything previously owned.

In my Black Diamond XR the best load I can shoot is 110 grains of loose Triple Se7en FFg and a 250 grain Shockwave. I have pushed it to 120 grains of loose but the accuracy was no better but the recoil was, so I went back to 110 grains. If I find a critter that can take a hit from that I will let you know how it works.. So far they are hiding pretty good.. :shock:

I will look into that, I kinda like the pellets for easy loading, and being new at this, I may stick with them through this ML season...

I did get to go through my first real cleaning of an ML, it cleaned up pretty easilly...

Thanks for the info guys...

WildFwl

Sounds like you had a decent day at the range. One of the things I really like about shooting the ML is toying around with the 777 charge and bullet combinations. That's why I go with the loose powder and play chemist on the firing line, til things are just right.

I don't have my notes in front of me, but I have loads that like 85 grains and other's that like 90 grains depending on what bullet I stuff down the pipe. I just don't like being limited by the pre made pellets, JMHO.

Back