New aquisition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
hawken.jpg

It's a .45 caliber T/C hawken. A previous owner cut the barrel down to 20 1/2" and there's about 3/8" in front of the ferrule. The barrel was in the "white" and I gave it a blue job. The person was attempting to brown it but never finished the job. I need to get the front sight fixed on as it's held by JB weld right now. I'm just planning on playing around with the .45 barrel but not use it for hunting. I'm going to put a .32 barrel on it for rabbit hunting which is why I got it.

That's a cool rifle. You could drop a Green Mountain Barrel in that and have an excellent small game rifle...

It will be interesting to see how well that short barrel works..

As soon as I shoot it I'll let you know if it's accurate. Track of the Wolf has the .32 IBS for 149.95 plus about 10.23 for shipping (per estimate). I'm gonna get one. I've always wanted a Hawken. They're pretty rifles. Should make a good small game rifle too.

It will be interesting to see how it shoots. I wish they hadn't cut the barrel down! :huh?:

Patrick White said:
As soon as I shoot it I'll let you know if it's accurate. Track of the Wolf has the .32 IBS for 149.95 plus about 10.23 for shipping (per estimate). I'm gonna get one. I've always wanted a Hawken. They're pretty rifles. Should make a good small game rifle too.

Just so you know, you have to sometimes customize the barrel to make it fit the rifle... it is a matter of cutting the thimble rib back a little so it clears the stock. Or you can adjust the stock but not with a Hawkins.. their too pretty..

that doesnt look a whole lot shorter than the cabelas[Sile] carbine that they had for a few years[had a .50, and a.54 in the sporter style stock, i think 24 or 28 twists, both shot reasonably well, were well balanced ,good handling firearms. not quite as accurate however as my .50 treehawk

Got some patches and balls so I'll see how that little barrel shoots soon. I'm picking up some more FFFG powder today. The .32 barrel has been put off for a while.

I had a TC Hawken .45 flintlock about 25 years ago. It was very accurate with 240 gr Maxi balls and 90 gr of 3f. It shot 2" 3-shot groups at 100 yards. I sold it when PA banned Maxi balls in the 80's, and required round balls. Now, PA allows almost anything you can stick down the barrel!

I wish I had that gun back.

Back