Load pressure: How do I judge this

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stompie

Reaction score
Please can someone give a newby some help. I have been informed that when I load the powder, sabot and bullet, I need to make sure that I give enough downward pressure to the load in order for it to work properly. How the heck do you gauge what the right ammount of pressure is given that it is a judgement rather than a gauged result? Will the ammount of pressure that you put downward on the load make a difference to what the bullet does when it leaves the barrell?

That has never changed a thing for me. I make sure all in one motion i push the bullet sabot down the barrel until it stops firm against the powder. make sure you make a witness mark on your ram-rod so you know the bullet is all the way down. What kind of powder are you using?

Some powders are more sensitive to compression than others. What matters most is that you do everything exactly the same each time, making sure the projectile is firmly seated at the same depth in the bore.

+1 on the witness mark. It makes your seating pressure consistent.

To make a witness mark, load your favorite load in a clean barrel. Seat the bullet with as much pressure as you would normally. Take a Sharpie marker and put the tip on the ramrod, while it's still in the barrell, even with the muzzle. Spin the rod to get a black ring around the ramrod. For all the proceeding shots, just seat the bullet until the ring on the ramrod is even with the muzzle. The mark will also quickly tell you if the gun is loaded, empty, or double loaded too.

Also if you try pellets, they don't like to be crushed. Need firm pressure but don,t crush. No air space between powder and sabot.

Dave

thanks to all of you for your kind replies. I am shooting on Saturday and didnt want to ruin my first impressions. I am using the BH 209 powder. I bought the Jim Shockey Gold but after reading some of the comments have considered taking it back. The only thing that does concern me is that I am using the Hornady XTP magnums in 240 grain and dont have the right loading tip for these. I am worried about putting too much load pressure on the load and distorting the tips. Any ideas on this please?

Stompie,
I shoot XTPs in several flavors in my guns, I just use a flat tip, no damage to the bullets at all. I have run them completely through the barrel, just to check, and no damage done. Enjoy, and let us know how the range session goes.

I certainly will. Thanks to all for your advise and help. I am eager to put some powder through my muzzleloader. Will let you know how it goes. Hopefully the kick isnt any worse than 12 gauge slugs or turkey loads. Or for that matter the 300 Win Mag that I use for Moose?

Stompie said:
Hopefully the kick isnt any worse than 12 gauge slugs or turkey loads. Or for that matter the 300 Win Mag that I use for Moose?

I started shooting inlines because of 12 ga slug recoil. I shoot 300 grain XTP's out of my Omegas with 777 and BH209 and they are much more comfortable to shoot than slugs--and they are more accurate too. Lighter XTP's will kick even less. Have fun.

thanks Paia, Grouse and MODeer for the info. I am truly looking forward to getting my butt kicked tomorrow.

Stompie,
I think you'll be pleasantly suprised with the recoil. It's not that bad, I promise. Certainly not like a 3 in 12 gauge or larger, more like a standard 1 and 1/4 oz load. Good luck!

Back