choosing a scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
for a reasonable price range, what scope would you choose. High end is NOT an option. The most i can spend is around 250.

OptimaAndy-

This is a spinoff of a post I made a little while ago in a different thread. Three scopes that I think are worth consideration are the Nikon Team Primos 3-9, Sightron SII 3-9, and Nikon Omega 3-9x40. I have a Monarch with duplex, same scope but different reticle than the Team Primos which has the BDC. If you like the idea of the BDC I would go with the Monarch. Otherwise go with the Sightron I have one of these as well, and you will still be very happy. If you want to save a little dough the Omega is worth a look. It will probably not have quite as good of glass as the previous two scopes, but still pretty darn good. Since they have been on sale, a couple members have purchased them and been very happy. I don't own one, but am becoming very tempted. The omega has the most eye releif out of all three, which may be important to you.

Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40
http://www.swfa.com/pc-9244-2119-nikon-3-9x40-team-primos-riflescope.aspx
Sightron SII 3-9x42
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10603-1514-sightron-3-9x42-sii-riflescope.aspx
Nikon Omega 3-9x40
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...=Nikon OMEGA Muzzleloading Scope 3 9X40 Matte

Edited to label links.

A scope I use a lot on muzzleloaders are the Nikon Pro Staff in 2-7x32mm. They are a shotgun/muzzleloader scope. They are also Nikon so the life time warranty is always there. Because of the 2x they make a great stalking powder and with the 7x you can do any kind of field shooting you need. The Pro Staff gathers light great, has excellent glass, is tuff as nails as I shoot large power loads and have yet to shake one apart. Also they are not expensive by some standards. You can get them for $140.00 or less. Watch for them on sale and I picked one up for $89.00 once. Also they have great eye relief and are only 11-1/2 inches in length. That means they fit all rifles and normally the rear sight can stay on the rifle. So if you mount them with quick release rings.. you have a double aiming system. This was one scope that was recommend to me by a person that competes in target shooting matches and owns a gun shop. I asked him to recommend a scope for my White Rifle. He picked the Pro Staff. He said I could spend more but never get a better scope for my dollar.

Natches.com was selling Nikon Omega 3-9x40 for $149.00 a week or so ago. Check there and see if they have any left. That is an excellent scope as well. For all the above reason.

If you really want to save some money and do only 100 yards or less shooting, I have used a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x on the scope. Granted it is a $39.00 scope. But the Glass is good, clarity, seems tuff as nails, and do far has done all I asked for it.

Another good lower end scope is the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5x32mm. Again low cost, good glass, excellent clarity and light gathering ability.

scopes

I have a leupold VXII 3x9x40 on my muzzleloader and my 308 Tikka. Bought both scopes off ebay brand new in the box for less than 250 each. I have had no problems with either scope. I have not seen the new ultimate slam leupold up close but if it is as good as the vxII line up I don't think you would be disappointed.

i would go with the Burris fullfield 2 excellent scope for the money , lifetime warranty. I think you can get a 3x9 for less that 199.00. I have a 2x7 that im in love with.

i got my new leupold about 3 months from my gun shop it a 3x9x40 i think that it cost 199.99

I really like it to!!!

Sam208

Definitely a Nikon Omega. IMO it's the best muzzleloader scope on the market. Yeah, the Leupold Ultimate Slam has it's fancy load settings, but figuring out where a round is going to impact with what reticle should be done through testing and not relying on some dots on a scope.

The Optic Zone has the best price I've seen on the Nikon Omega 3-9X40 BDC. That's where I got mine. Check it out....

https://www.theopticzone.com/default.as ... il&id=2196

Latest posts

Back