w 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcahilly

Reaction score
going to buy some b209 tommorrow .will winchester 209 be ok to ignite the powder?

dcahilly said:
going to buy some b209 tommorrow .will winchester 209 be ok to ignite the powder?

Should be no problem, but that all depends on several other factors. Breech plug design, rifle type, bullet/sabot, seating pressure, temperature.

What type of rifle is it? Some designs are not very compatable with BH209. The Knight KRB7 being one of them.

If your talking about the Winchester T7 primers, you may have some hang-fires. I know Fed 209A's will work. Not sure about the other "regular" 209's. Definately don't use anything designed for blackpowder, T7 in particular, as they have been "toned-down" to address the crud-ring issue. BH209 has absolutely no crud ring issue, just an ignition issue with weak primers, unsealed primer cups, or to some extent, long breech plugs such as found on T/C's. It's a great powder, but they call it BH209 for a reason!

As long as you stay away from the special muzzle loader primers you will do fine that is one of the best muzzle-loaders made today.
Winchester 209 primers for reloading will work well with any powder I have used several thousand of them with every type of powder including Blackhorn 209. Lee

I mam going to try the winchester 209 primers I have about 3 thousand of them, without you guys telling me I would have tried my 777 primers THANKS ALOT!

I use the Winchester 209 primers in my Endeavor with no problems at all and I'm getting great accuracy. Oh yea, I'm also using BH209. Great combo.

Re: w209

dcahilly said:
its at/c triump

Like was already said, should be no problem with the W209's.
Just make sure you have a 1/8" drill bit to get the carbon out of the flame channel. It will build up in there pretty fast, and it is very hard carbon. I am certain this comes from the 209 primers and not the BH209, and the Winchester W209's are probably the dirtiest in my experience. They are also the longest 209 primers, and can have headspace/lock-up issues on some rifles.

Good luck with that rifle and BH209, I think you will love how it shoots for you. 8)

from my marginal experiance i believe bh209 does cause some of breechplug build up,i only base this on not having any issues with 777causing bp build up using the same primers.with bh209 the crudring is in the Bp instead of the barrel and takes longer to develop....karl

k said:
from my marginal experiance i believe bh209 does cause some of breechplug build up,i only base this on not having any issues with 777causing bp build up using the same primers.with bh209 the crudring is in the Bp instead of the barrel and takes longer to develop....karl

I would agree that BH209 is the cause of the build-up, but not the contributor. What I mean by that, is that I don't think the build-up itself is from the BH209, but that the progressive nature of BH209 does push back enough to allow it to collect there.

I have some custom breech plugs that have essentially no build-up, but the primer dumps directly into the charge that sits only approximately .200" away. I can shoot 40 shots in these rifles and only have a very small bit of build-up in the bottom of the primer pocket. If I try that 40 shots in one of my long Knight breech plugs, the 1/8" diameter flame channel will be full of carbon it's entire length. It is my belief that the pressure from the charge pushing back allows it to collect there, while my custom plug does not have room and 99.9% of the primers ejecta goes directly into the charge and is consumed with it.

777 is a whole different powder and burn rate, and your primer carbon is more than likely stopped right where the crud ring develops in the barrel.

Just my 2 cents worth, from shooting cases of BH209 for 18 months in several different rifles with several different types of breech plugs. This would include stock, modified, and custom breech plugs.

thanks busta,now that i stop and think about it(which rarely happens :) )my metrics unlimited plug in the sidekick could shoot 4x as many bh209 loads compared to my shadow and if i had money to burn :lol: i'm guessin it MIGHT outlast the triumph in how many shots you could take before hangfires......karl

k said:
thanks busta,now that i stop and think about it(which rarely happens :) )my metrics unlimited plug in the sidekick could shoot 4x as many bh209 loads compared to my shadow and if i had money to burn :lol: i'm guessin it MIGHT outlast the triumph in how many shots you could take before hangfires......karl

THAT is the breech plug I am talking about, AND I will double up that bet that it would outlast the Triumph. I can shoot the MU plug until the cows come home and it never misses a beat.

Latest posts

Back