Tinned Steel powder measure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msellers

Reaction score
Sharing a tinned steel measure I just finished up. It is inspired by an original that was supposedly dug at Ft. Ticonderoga. Hope you guys like it, and please offer advise and thoughts.
Mike
received_2514109825520404.jpegreceived_2974523302580380.jpegreceived_498481514117139.jpeg

Nice work msellers.
How does tinplated-steel hold up to prolonged contact with blackpowder? (i.e., do you ever need to clean the inside or re-tin?)

Nice work msellers.
How does tinplated-steel hold up to prolonged contact with blackpowder? (i.e., do you ever need to clean the inside or re-tin?)
I can't say how long it holds up for sure, I just scrub it out with a brush when it starts to clump a little. It can build up a little static once in a while, but am guessing that would go away with a soap wash like the plastic spoons for measuring.
Mike

That one is 90gr. Could make larger or smaller. I have a fair piece of time in them, but figure $50 shipped is fair to all. If I am off on prices let me know.

Last edited:
Here is a simpler tinned measure I just finished up. Hope you all enjoy this one also. This one is simpler to make than the hexagonal one, but still very fun to make. It holds approximately 120 gr give or take based on your measure. Has a wooden base plug sealed and glued with pine pitch then 3 steel nails to secure completely.
Mike

Attachments

• 20200115_171104.jpg
    20200115_171104.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
great! what material did you use and how did you make it? it is killer!
I made it out of light gauge steel sheet, formed around a mandrel; then bazed to joint forming the tube. Once pickled to remove all the flux, and filed to clean up any overlap. Then the whole measure is fluxed, heated, and dipped into molten solder in my case. Finally, I heat and apply cold bluing in layers to form a patina I am happy with. Finish using shoe polish, and a wax waterproofer. Using a heat gun to melt everything into the outside of the measure.
Mike

Just curios, is "made it out of light gauge steel sheet " safe to use? Was always told only brass, copper or no ferrous material to prevent possible spark, static, ignition etc from steel or iron.

while non ferrous metals will not spark, they will certainly conduct a current of electricity. so where are we going with this?? only antler, wood and bamboo will suffice.

The tinning will reduce the possibility of a spark occurring. My brass measures have built up just as much static, as I have experienced with this one.
Mike

Use to collect antique accessories, powder measurers were always popular. Some measurers had some nice details.

images.jpg Antique-Black-Gun-Powder-Measure-Civil-War-Era.jpg

a-very-nice-antique-1819th-century-eastern-islamic-turkishpersian-brass-engraved-powder-measur...jpg German Jaeger rifle measurter (2).jpeg

buck conner.jpg

Buck,
Thank you very much for sharing these. I especially like the brass adjustable second from last. I recently finished one very similar to your last one shown.
Mike

As most of you know my family has dealt in antiques for over 100 years (some of the items I would question relations - Why collect that", my father would use the old Johnny Cash reply " someone would collect spit if it didn't dry out".

Like the different powder measurers, the accessories carried my our forefathers has always got my attention. Some items when found really calls for some thought trying to figure out what it was used for - that's the fun part). Those odd little pieces are always a challenge. :confused: :rolleyes:

buck conner.jpg

Latest posts

Back