What's the diffrence?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFox

Reaction score
Here is a link to a New REM 700ML 209 converison Kit.If you read it all.It says .
Here is your chance to use the new BlackHorn 209 Powder.
I fail to see what makes this 209 conversion kit for the REM 700Ml so special.Maybe some of yall can fill me in as to why.
I have a Rem 700Ml that i just flat out love and i am use the Canadaian 209 conversion kit in mine with the weather shield in place and it shoots BH 209 powder just fine

http://muzzleloadingbullets.com/remingt ... pples.html

It's the same for my Traditions Buckhunter. I also did the 209 conversion and the nipple that came with it, is one that IS NOT RECOMMENDED for shooting BH209. Its a slotted type nipple that lets some of the primer charge blow out the side of the primer pocket. It still shoots BH209 just fine but may not give 100% ignition all the time. I did find a nipple for my rifle that is designed a little different. It is almost totally enclosed except for a small hole for the spring retainer that holds the primer in place. I have shot this nipple many times with BH209 and have never had a misfire or hangfire.

The nipple in the photo still looks like one that is not recommended but its hard to see exactly what the inside looks like. Maybe they test fired it a couple of times with BH209 and it shot fine so now they can make that claim.

Does your nipple look just like the one in the photo?

Yep my 209 nipple looks just like the one in the picture to me.
BuckDoeHunter said:
The nipple in the photo still looks like one that is not recommended but its hard to see exactly what the inside looks like. Maybe they test fired it a couple of times with BH209 and it shot fine so now they can make that claim.

Does your nipple look just like the one in the photo?

SwampFox

The new conversion is somewhat different than the old Canadian conversion.

This is the new conversion built by Precision Rifle Bullets in Manitobo

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

It does seem to have a better nipple, as it is enclosed, than the original converion made in Quebec.

But the real problem is that the Reming is still a 'plunger' tyoe action - so blow back will still cause the primer to split back out of the nipple. The amount of this blow back can be a concern as it can actually re-kock the hammer and at worst it can allow the primer to come apart and spray primer parts out of the rifle.

I am working on a bolt conversion that will hold the primer in place - still trying to get that tweaked to my satisfaction...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... conversion

Here is thread shooting BH from one of my Remingtons, with the original conversion...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... =remington

Sabotloader,i know nothing about the 209 conversion unit you refer me to.I was asking about the 209 conversion unit in the link i posted about and that unit's nipple looks just like the canadaian conversion's 209 nipple.
The bolt face you are trying to fit to utilize it's face to hold the 209 primer and have a REAL type fireing pin.Would have to many varable's,like the breech plug how far it is screw in each time and have prees tight seal/fit.And the 209 primer's would need to be down to a couple 1000's of a inch to mate up tight the face of bolt each and every time.
While i refuse to call this headspace,because it plainly and simply is not headspace to anyone who has ever headspace a center fire rifle with a finishing reamer
I wish you luck,but until things change and a breech plug is made to within a couple 1000's and a way to measure it's lenght after it's tighten up in the gun and a 209 primer made to within a couple 1000's of a inch in lenght. Are most likely wasteing your time,if one try's to over come these events with how much one tighten's are loosen's the breech plug trying to over come the diffrence in the 209 primer and how far the breech plug is screw in are out
I am sure that is why REMINTON nerver even tried to make it a REAL type fireing pin to start

SwampFox

Sabotloader,i know nothing about the 209 conversion unit you refer me to.I was asking about the 209 conversion unit in the link i posted about and that unit's nipple looks just like the canadaian conversion's 209 nipple.

The unit in your link is the Quebec, Canadian Conversion - or the original Cabelas conversion...

The bolt face you are trying to fit to utilize it's face to hold the 209 primer and have a REAL type fireing pin.

My bolt conversion is meant to work with the conversion you are refering to. But you still have to put the 209 in the nipple yourself and you have to take it out yourself also. The hammer is turned in a lathe to make it into a firing pin that goes through the conversion adaptor. The length of the original hammer is not altered at all.

Would have to many varable's,like the breech plug how far it is screw in each time and have prees tight seal/fit.And the 209 primer's would need to be down to a couple 1000's of a inch to mate up tight the face of bolt each and every time.

You are correct - although it does not have to be perfect - it just has to be close enough to hold the primer in the nipple so that it will not come apart on firing. My first adaptor does just that. I am now making 2 additional adaptors that will hold the primer(s) in the nipple tight. There are basically 3 different lengths of primers +/- a few thousands on the market.

While i refuse to call this headspace,because it plainly and simply is not headspace to anyone who has ever headspace a center fire rifle with a finishing reamer

Totally agree - it really should not be referred to as a 'headspace' but essentially that is the language everyone understands.

I wish you luck,but until things change and a breech plug is made to within a couple 1000's and a way to measure it's lenght after it's tighten up in the gun and a 209 primer made to within a couple 1000's of a inch in lenght. Are most likely wasteing your time,if one try's to over come these events with how much one tighten's are loosen's the breech plug trying to over come the diffrence in the 209 primer and how far the breech plug is screw in are out

That is exactly where I am at now - I can not cover all the options you suggest with just one adaptor - it appears it is going to take 3... but if you know for instance that you are going to shoot only Fed 209A's and BH you could get away with one adaptor.

I am sure that is why REMINTON nerver even tried to make it a REAL type fireing pin to start

Actually they did the original design was a regular Model 700 short action bolt - lugs and all... but they could not get permission from the Government to do it that way because the ML barrel could be simply unscrewed from the reciever and a center fire barrel put back in and you would have a centerfire rifle. So to qualify as only a ML - Remington cut the lugs off - extended the the breech plug with a nipple. Which also changed the length of the firing pin so a new hammer had to be designed, and in those days the 'plunger tyoe' hammer was the thing. Also remember all of this happened before the advent of shooting 209 in a ML... The 700 is really somewhat a copy of Tony Knights orignal operating theory on an inline as many other inline ML's of this time date were.

Had Remington stayed with the ML market - they would have done the same changes along the way - only certainly better than I can do.

Here is a link to a New REM 700ML 209 converison Kit.If you read it all.It says .

http://muzzleloadingbullets.com/remingt ... pples.html

This is NOT the new REM 700ML - 209 conversion kit... It is the old one that has been available for at least 7 years. But it is being distributed by an American company because Cabelas dropped it in favor of the really NEW Precision Rifle Bullets conversion. I purchase 3 new nipple from them and they are exactly the same as the old conversion. And yes they will shoot BH - but there is a hazard that you should be aware of as with any type plunger action shooting BH.

This conversion has been installed in the gun since 2004...

ConversionCompositLabeled.jpg

Latest posts

Back