Toby Bridges new Special Edition Scope?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFox

Reaction score
Any one tried the Toby Bridges Special Edition 3x9x40mm muzzleloader Scope out yet?.If so?how did it do?
It has a main crosshair for a 100 yards zero point and 200, 225 and 250 yard crosshairs.But what is the powder charge and bullet type/weight based on for these 200 ,225 and 250 yard crosshair's. I am thinking of getting one but if it base on a 150 powder charge ,then for get it.
I have nerver been one much for gimmic type stuff.I am old school and and holding over if and when i need to has always been my norn.But my eyes are getting worst now adays and judgeing things are not as good as they use to be.I love down to earth type scopes that you just zero,point aim and shoot.
But as i get older i might try something with a few more frills.
What yall say about this scope, any good are not?

I'm not big into a busy reticle with a bunch of hash makes for the ranges, especially on a M-L scope. I see more of a use for one in a Western dogtown. 1st of all I really don't want to go past 150yrds or so with a M-L, that's even with 120grns of B209 in my Knight. I'm rather particular for anterless shots & look for 25-75yrds. When in a good spot that 175yrd shot may become a 50yrd shot in another 30 minutes, that deer or the next one. Even when you can see a long ways I try to be set up in cover in an area that will offer the closer shots. I know we all hunt differently & various types of cover/locations.

That said, I actually have a Burris ballistic Plex reticle on my M-L. I had it around & planned to maybe use the lower marks for longer shots. I've used it a few years & just use the center x-hair & at the most just hold a little high 'on fur' if called for. With the longer shots one really has to test everything out at the different ranges with the load you will hunt with. After that you have to range the longer distances so you KNOW the distance to the game animal. If you don't & mis-judge the distance now we're guessing again. I'm just saying I think the 'advertised' & 'real world/hunting' applications may not be the same. Just my opinion.

Not sure about the scope, but the little I know about Toby would suggest that he doesn't use 150 gr loads. Most of what he publishes suggests he uses 110 to 120 gr as his top loads.

Write him and ask. He will usually answer. His website is hpmuzzleloading.com

I considered a multi hash retical when I was choosing a new scope but with me shooing 300 grain bullets and 100 grains of T7, my drop is only 14" at 200 yards, that means if I just hold right on the top of the back, Im going to hit some vitals. Anything between 100 and 200 is still holding on the hide and still going to be a high lung or low heart shot.

Now if I was shooting much further, yes it might be of help but I NORMALY keel all shots to 100 or less and maybe 150. 200 yards for me would be a once every few years issue. Does anyone really want to shoot past 200?

Ya thats what i understood about Toby too.So i guess i might just need to write and ask him about it
txhunter58 said:
Not sure about the scope, but the little I know about Toby would suggest that he doesn't use 150 gr loads. Most of what he publishes suggests he uses 110 to 120 gr as his top loads.

Write him and ask. He will usually answer. His website is hpmuzzleloading.com

Toby

From all that I have read, Toby Bridges uses 120gr BH209 with a 300gr bullet for most of his hunts. That is equal to 150gr pyrodex pellets. The scope as I understand it comes with a chart using different bullets and charges so you can adjust your scope by it. Scope sounds like a good one if you need to shoot that far.

I just put one on my muzzleloader and in the omega with 2 pellets of 777 zero'd at 75 yards with a 250 grain barnes TEZ bullet it will hit dead center with the 2nd mark on the downward (at 9x power) at 175 yards. These were the only distances I had at the range I was shooting at which covers the distances I'll be shooting anyways. The thing to remember is these markings will only be accurate at a given power

same here, Top back, put it on the back of the deer. I use open sights here so 200 isnt doable for me.

I email Toby today and we email each other back and forth a few times.He seams to be a real good guy and he gave me some good loads to try out .I think i might just give this scope a try,but it will have to be after Christmas before i can buy one.

SwampFox,
I have some info you may already know or might want to consider.

I believe Leatherwood Hi-Lux has very good optics for the price range and I'm talking about the Toby Bridges version..

The thing that I find bothersome is the eye relief or lack thereof.

On 3 power the eye relief is 3.25"

On 9 power the eye relief is 2.73".

Also there is no aiming point between 100 and 200 yds??????

This eye relief data is from Leatherwoods own website.

With 120 grs Bh209 and a 300 gr bullet I believe she will kick. I learned this lesson the hard way years ago with hard kicking rifles and scopes with 3" or less eye relief and I haven't forgotten it! Once you get "Scope Bit" you will remember.

I shy away from any scope on a hard kicking gun with less than 3+" of constant eye relief.

If this scope had a longer eye relief I would consider buying one myself.

Pocampo

Thanks for your input Pocampo.The eye relief does not concern me.I know it will kick with 120 Grains of BH 209 and a 290 are 300 grain biullet.I have own and hunted with 300 Win Mag, 350 REM Mag 338 Mag and just for kicks i use a 375 H&H for 1 whole deer season.The kick from a 54 Cal TC Hawken with 180 FFFg holy black,broke my jaw.I am not shy to a hard kicking gun by no means.And have been cut many-er time from scopes.But each time it was my fault not the scope are gun.When a Gun kicks your head is surpose to kick back with the gun the same amount.If one try's to let the gun kick back and try's to keep his head from going back along with it,then it is your fault not the scope are the gun.Shooter should go with the flow.Ya i know alot would disagree with this,But hey it is there eye not mine :D
Pocampo said:
SwampFox,
I have some info you may already know or might want to consider.

I believe Leatherwood Hi-Lux has very good optics for the price range and I'm talking about the Toby Bridges version..

The thing that I find bothersome is the eye relief or lack thereof.

On 3 power the eye relief is 3.25"

On 9 power the eye relief is 2.73".

Also there is no aiming point between 100 and 200 yds??????

This eye relief data is from Leatherwoods own website.

With 120 grs Bh209 and a 300 gr bullet I believe she will kick. I learned this lesson the hard way years ago with hard kicking rifles and scopes with 3" or less eye relief and I haven't forgotten it! Once you get "Scope Bit" you will remember.

I shy away from any scope on a hard kicking gun with less than 3+" of constant eye relief.

If this scope had a longer eye relief I would consider buying one myself.

Pocampo

I have 3 of his scopes. I love them. I can hit 18x18 inch plates at 300 yards with them. you need to keep your bullets at a certain velocity to make them work correctly. I have one on a Disc Elite,Encore and just put one on a Long Range hunter tonight. Very good optics .

Latest posts

Back