Cleaning my new TC Encore Pro-Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMRS22

Reaction score
Hey All,

This site was recommended to me by the folks over at Michigan Gun Owners.

Anyway, I purchased a brand new TC Encore Pro Hunter recently and took it to the range for the first time today. Since this is the first muzzleloader in 9 years that I've owned, I forgot to bring my cleaning kit with me. I guess I was hoping for 3-4 shots to sight it in at 100 yards and be done. Well, needless to say, I shot ten times and she was too dirty to use. I decided to return to the range after thoroughly cleaning it.

Here's my problem. I went through my entire stash of Otis patches trying to get this thing cleaned out. I am using Pyrodex 50/50 pellets (which seem really dirty). I used oil, let it sit, ran a brush through, etc, but still can't get the grime completely gone from where the pellets first ignite in the barrel.

Long-winded, but that is my first question: How can I get this completely clean?

Next question is, how do you guys completely clean the breach plug?

I hate to ask such newbie questions!

Thanks for any input.

Hugh

Welcome,
First you're going to need an ample supply of Patches, I prefer the round 2-1/2". You'll also need some damp patches, not saturated patches, these are used between shots to clean your bore. First a damp patch, you'll feel the crud ring near the breech end. Work the area a little and even twist your rod a little as you stroke it, up and down. Do the whole barrel, but pay special attention to the breech end. Remove patch and flip it over and do the same thing again. Then use a dry patch and repeat the flipping over and swab again. Use this method after each shot. I use #9 hoppes on the bore when I clean the rifle after a range session. Don't use it on the outside of your Pro Hunter, as this stuff is bad for the finish, there are other cleaning products available, this is just what I prefer. You'll need a 1/8" drill bit to clean your flash channel in your breech plug. Simply twist it in by hand and watch all the carbon come out. Try and get all excess solvent out of the bore and apply a light coat of your prefered oil. You can get an air tight canister and make your own wet patches and save money. Windex w/ammonia works for me. Others will also recommend some other good concoctions. I hope this helps.

Oil would have only made a mess. Pyrodex RS in loose or pellet form is easy to clean. Dishwater (soap and water) is a good cleaner, so is Windex. On the range if you forget solvents or cleaners, remember you can spit. Just put a clean patch in your mouth, get it damp not wet, with your spit, and swab the barrel with that. Swab the bore of the rifle between shots for the best accuracy.

For your final cleaning, break the rifle down, remove the breech plug, etc..
Then saturate a patch with Windex or dishwater. Swab from the breech to the muzzle. That way you don't push fouling back into the trigger area of the rifle. Run a couple of them and look down the barrel. You will see the fouling is about gone. Then a dry one. Look again, it should look pretty clean. Now is when I like to put a good quality cleaner like 409, Simple Green, or a commercial cleaner on a patch. Swab the bore again with a couple. Now with some dry patches swab the bore again. When you see that the threads of the breech plug are clean, and the bore is spotless, then take a patch. Put some good gun oil on that and swab the bore with the oil patch. Just like you would your center fire rifles.

Clean your other parts off, and clean the breech plug. Then re-tape and or grease it or both, and put it back in the rifle. You are set to go.

Next time you go to shoot, swab the bore with a patch damp, with some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Then a dry one. Pop a cap or two through it, and your ready to shoot. The alcohol patch will remove the oil from the barrel.

Like the others, after shooting Pyrodex I use a soapy water solution to clean 1st. This can be the white M-L 'cleaner' sold by T/C & others, warm soapy dishsoap solution, or a homemade concoction of Murphy's oil soap & peroxide & maybe something else mixed in. The breech plug & any other smaller parts go right in a bowl of solution & are wiped/brushed clean, threads, everything. Use Q-tips & pipe cleaners where needed, maybe even a welding tip cleaner.

AFTER all is clean I give a wipedown with an oily cloth(& bore), that is for any length of storage. When you shoot next wipe all & bore with a dry cloth/patch.

Of course I switched to B209 for most shooting.

You guys are great. I will take this all to heart and go at it.

Thanks a bunch.

H

I picked up some "T17 Bore Solvent" at Dick's today and used as directed. It pretty much removed that crud I was worried about within one swipe. It also cleaned crud out of there that I didn't know was there too! I followed the other directions from you folks and she's as good as new. I am going down to the WWCCA soon to get her sighted in for the season. I'll be bringing my cleaning supplies along with me.

Thank you for all the help. This is a great site.

Glad to hear you got it straightened out. Don't forget a 1/8" drill bit.

cleaning

you might want to soak that plug in coke, then clean it up. I let it soak as I clean the other parts of my Pro Hunter, that crap comes right off. You gonna love that gun!

Im no expert...I just shoot like one. :lol: The first thing id tell you to do is switch powders. Id shoot Blackmag3 over pyrodex...but since switching to Blackhorn209 id definitely recommend it. The breech is so easy to remove I dont even grease it. As far as cleaning the barrel, I wrap a G96 saturated patch around a brass brush and push it thru the barrel a couple times. Repeat as necessary. Then run a few dry patches thru it to make sure the barrel is dry.

For the breech, I spray G96 on it and scrub it with a wire brush to break the black stuff free. Then wipe it off and q-tip the pockets. After putting the plug back in the gun, fire a 209 primer thru the unloaded gun to clear and dry everything out (and to scare the family :twisted: ).

Make sure you can see light thru your breech plug.

If you're gonna stick with pyrodex, then put boiling hot water in a bucket...then put your barrel in it and run patches back n forth drawing the water up into the barrel. That cleans alot of the black gunk out quick. :wink:

I shoot an Encore and have never had any trouble cleaning it. Blow back in the breech can be an issue and a bit tedious to clean but not bad. I use a 50/50 Windex-alcohol mix and do all my cleaning at the range just after shooting. It dosn't take more then a few patches to get the bore clean. Handi wipes work well on the breechplug. I hunt with Pyrodex pellets and practice with powder. The breech plug gets a more thorough cleaning when I get home, then taped and replaced.

Before leaving the range I run a patch saturated with Windex with vinegar down the bore and leave it wet. At home the breechplug is taken out and another saturated patch is run into the bore from the breech. Use sho
rt back and forth motions to scrub out the fouling. Then dry patches are run through the bore until it i sdry. Lastly a patch slightly wet with Rem Oil is run through the bore.

I spray Windex with vinegar on the breechplug, hit it with an old toothbrush and rinse with water. The flash channel is cleaned with a pipe cleaner. If it is really cruddy it gets cleaned with a 1/8" drill turned by hand.

The breech of my Encore does not get that cruddy. The breech face
is wiped with a rag wet with Windex with vinegar and then hit it with an oily rag.

Is a coating of oil alright on a stainless finish? Might be a dumb question, but I've never been able to afford a stainless gun before this one. Its time to put it up for a few months and want to treat it the best I can.

the encore stainless barrel won't rust ....but my frame has had some rust no pitting thankfully ,i removed the surface rust with a brass brush ..also my ENCORE gets clogged up with gunk inside the fire pin chamber where the little fire pin spring is located ..i wash it all out with hot soap water .

The one thing I've found is the darn breech plug rusts! I just had to clean surface rust off it. I was trying not to leave it super oily, as I've heard of people inadvertently saturating the breech plug with oil and that gets into the powder and won't fire.

AMRS22 said:
The one thing I've found is the darn breech plug rusts! I just had to clean surface rust off it. I was trying not to leave it super oily, as I've heard of people inadvertently saturating the breech plug with oil and that gets into the powder and won't fire.

the ENCORE's breech-plug is stainless and will not rust ,i never oil it ..i only finger tighten it ,so removing it is easy..

I soak my breech plug in a 35mm film canister filled with #13. I put the cap on and shake the snot out of it.

Sorry about my earlier response. I didnt realize the Pro Hunter had a different breech plug than the Omega until today. Yea that speed breech plug with gas rings looks fun to clean!!!

Pro Hunter

Mine doesn't have a speed breech plug still have to use a tool on it. Use a drill bit and let it soak in coke or Hoppes for a while. It will come clean easily. This isn't shooting CF guys, a little work is needed to maintain but the PH is awesome shooter. I love mine and it is just about my go to for all hunting needs anymore. I haven't purchased another barrel yet and this is 3 years later. I just change bullets/sabot and loads for this gun.

ARMS22,
Here's just another thought :!: You wouldn't have to use anything but water if you were to switch to APP. I use it and never had a problem with it. It cleans up with water so, no oil or solvent :!: :!: If I were you I would clean that barrel until its bone dry. Get all that oil out of there. Pop of a few REMINGTON KLEANBORE PRIMERS and get ready to shot without worring about cleaning the rifle. I use 100 grains loose APP GOLD, 295 GRAIN POWERBELT AEROTIPS. I keep a patch in my mouth and after the 2nd or 3rd shot I will swab the barrel once or twice with that patch I had in my mouth. Load up again and shoot. (DON'T FORGET TO START CHEWING ON ANOTHER PATCH). I check the breech plug after the 6th or 7th shot. More shooting and less cleaning. When you are done shooting for the day you'll find that your rifle isn't all the dirty. By the way, with these componets you won't get the "burn/crud ring" that you'll get with some other powers. I've used PYRODEX,T7,BLACKHORN POWDERS AND REMINGTON STS PRIMERS and my accura just didn't like those components. Now I shoot and clean less. One last thought. Accuracy didn't suffer because of not swabbing and I have had no issue with this powder soaking up moisture. Last weekend I fired off 4 speed loaders that I had sitting on top of my safe from Novembers hunting season. They all went BANG when I squeezed the trigger.
Good Luck :!:

Back