BH209 in a Ruger 77/50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
I will be doing load development this off season for a Ruger 77/50 outfitted with an Armurier Lavaltrie 209 conversion kit. From what I've read a lot of you get good results with BH209 powder, anyone used it in a Ruger?

thanks, Rob

I have a Ruger 77/50, but I have not tried BH209 in it. I tried the Canadian 209 conversion breech plug with T7 and I would get spent 209 primers bouncing around the breech area and the plunger being re-cocked. I stayed with T7 and #11 caps and it is a really accurate rifle.

FWIW - I read somewhere that someone got it to work by opening up the breech plug to around .032" - .035". According to the instructions on the back of the BH209 bottle, the Canadian 209 conversion breech plug is not one of the recommended styles of breech plug.

I bought the gun second hand and the kit was already installed. When I removed the action from the stock to give it a cleaning I found about a dozen spent primers floating around in there.

Did they give a reason for not using the Canadian kit?

Is there another 209 system made for this gun?

thanks, Rob

PM Zen Vorhes , he got one he shoots blackhorn in wery well.He can show ya the path
Wayles

Recoil Rob said:
I bought the gun second hand and the kit was already installed.
When I removed the action from the stock to give it a cleaning I found about a dozen
spent primers floating around in there.

If the primer is not shaken out before the bolt is pulled all the way back, the primers will
sometimes fall in to the cut out below the bolt. I left a spent #11 cap down there too long
and it started to create rust.

Did they give a reason for not using the Canadian kit?

It might be that the recess for the 209 primer has a cut out for the spring that holds the
primer. The bottom of that cut out is almost flush with the face of the 209 primer and does
not create the ideal sealed environment that approved BH209 ignition systems seem to
work best in.

Is there another 209 system made for this gun?

Not that I have seen. I am not suggesting that it will not work, it is just not the ideal
setup for BH209. If you are using a scope, make sure to cover it up to avoid it getting
scorched. There is some nice custom work being done on the Rem 700 ML that I
would like to see done for the Ruger 77/50.

Here is what is being done with the Rem 700 ML;
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com ... hread=3076
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com ... hread=3441

Latest posts

Back