First firing of the new CVA Plainsman

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
cvatarget.jpg

I had great fun on Fathers Day with this rifle.
The Goex ffg seemed to be the most friendly.
Maybe, Goex fffg?
What do you think?
Swiss?
I have bifocal eyes, so these shots were made with great care, and were very time consuming.

I ordered a Williams Peep for the gun , however I must find someone to drill and tap for me. THEN maybe I can shoot farther.

I really want to shoot a doe this next year with this sidelock. I know it's just an entry level ML, however, It has been soooo long since I killed a deer with a side lock. I forgot how much fun I used to have with my old Mt. Rifle.
Your comments are welcome.....FG. .....Dave?...anyone:lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the patches are .015

thats a great start! Im using 3f goex and an .015 ox-yoke patch with .490 round ball. You're patches look pretty good so maybe try a wad and see how that does? Never know what something that simple could do for you.

That 15/16 group is awesome!

Check out this website, they have something thats kind of like a peep sight but uses the standard 3/8" dovetail.
http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

Post some pics of the rifle too!

Almost forgot, that old .54 mtn rifle you sold me was an awesome shooter too!

Well dad-gum Spit. That's already plenty good enough for deer out to 50 yards at least, probably 75. As a long time member of the Bi-focal Club For Men myself, I feel your pain. If a peep sight works as well for you as they do for me you're going to be a happy camper. It will probably cut your groups in half. I wouldn't worry too much about any more load development until you get the sight installed. What you're shooting now might just be the perfect load.

your patches look good... and the groups are sure a good start. So I think now its a matter of range time and having fun. A peep sight might well help you.

I have a Williams Peep on a Traditions Sidelock and it was put on by a gun smith. It sure made the rifle accurate. That rifle also likes 70 grains and a roundball..

Traditional rifles are a lot of fun without a doubt.

You're welcome! That goex loads shoots great in my Plainsman as well. I was going to make the rifle a Powerbelt'er but ive decided that i have my Accura for that. Now i have to readjust the sights for round balls :lol:

I'll let you know how that 70gr load does @ 100 yards.

Spit

ya need to come and go to few Rondy's with me - shooting the walking trail is always a challenge and it is fun... My favorite shot I hate the most is the hanging 1" x 1' piece of galvanized pipe @ 20 yards - if you are the first guy to shoot in your group great - or if everyone misses - but as soon as somebody drills it now becomes a moving piece of pipe... tons of fun...

Nice shooten....

Back