Throwing hawk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought that was a lot of fun, but anymore it just gives this old guy a sore shoulder ! I remember one time at a rendezvous where they had sawed logs lengthwise and hung them sideways. You virtually had to throw the hawk sideways to get it to stick because of the direction of the grain in the wood. Different surprises in competition like that always was fun !

My grandson Matt at 7 yrs old and again in 2019 just turned 14 yrs old, as overall Hawk champion at our '19 rondy in a final throw off with three year reigning champion in the seniors class! He was runner-up in juniors and asked if he could take my place in the senior division with over twenty in that class, glad I said yes. Note he doesn't throw a jr size hawk but was using mine (now his LOL)........Mossie

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    719.7 KB · Views: 26
  • P7280003.JPG
    P7280003.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 26
My buddy robert and i put together a simple log cradle so he can practice throughout the year.
View attachment 2544

May want to move your target to one side of the shed, hawks make really nice narrow holes in tin. Use to be a bar in Leadville CO where everyone when after the days events at the Colorado Muzzleloader Association yearly shoot. They started throwing hawks and knives for beers with the bar owner, didn't take long and they had beat the slab shed's side to splinters. Always watch the person with a beer in one hand and a hawk in the other.......... :thumbs up:

I knew a Shimmel? corporal I believe SHE threw the axe, been 20 years or more. She actually took a more than a few competitions in the days....

Latest posts

Back