Marlin 1894 .44

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody own or shoot one? I know Marlin was putting oversized bores on the barrels for awhile but I also hear that problem has been fixed on the newer ones. Any good or bad input on this gun would be appreciated.

I've had one about 3 or 4 years and like it very much. I shoot it quite a bit because I take it to the range when I am shooting other "fancier" guns and testing loads etc. I shoot the Marlin while waiting for other barrels to cool etc. It has close to 2000 rds through it now. No problems at all.

It likes 240 grn Hornady XTP's--17.0 grns of 2400 for plinking and 21.0 grns for hunting. And that bullet is a good deer killer in that rifle. The 265 grn. Hornady FP shoots well too.

I have no idea if my barrel is "oversized," but it will put 3 shots of the hunting load under an inch at 50 all day and I have had three shot clover leafs several times.

It shoots cast pretty well--2 to 3" at 50--with 7 to 8 grns of Unique, but I have not worked with cast bullets much yet.

I have a 2.5 Leupold on mine right now, but I have shot with open sights, peep sights and a red dot Aimpoint and they all worked well with it.

Thnx paia, I'm going to the gun show this weekend to try to find one. I called 3 gunshops yesterday and nobody had one in stock. These rifles are hard to find in Indiana.

Any luck finding one? They are scarce around here as well. I have one that I picked up used several years ago when the price was reasonable. I reload 240 gr XTP's and it shoots great. I also reload a light load that my wife and kids enjoy shooting.

Latest posts

Back