Variflame primer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried it in my omega with a new and dry breech plug.
First shot, slight hang fire, second shot no fire.
End of experiment.
I load on a bone dry bore,cci small rifle magnum primer in clean primer pocket, 74 grains bh (my weight) breech plug with teflon tape (no grease)
Good luck

I haven't tried it even though I have a variflame. I just figured it wouldn't work. I read a report somewhere "possibly Hpmuzzleloading", where a PR modified BP plug was used with 6mm brass in an omega. The 6mm uses large rifle primers, using a large rifle Magnum primer for the ignition reportedly worked well. I dont know if a variflame could be machined to except large rifle primers. If it could, that might be the ticket. I've been meaning to call Cecil at PR bullet and ask him about this setup, but have not done so yet!

There is a new set up that uses a shortened 6mm case and large rifle primers. I E-mail Cecil when I first was trying BH and he E-mail me back it would not be needed but the word on the grape vine is that he changed his mind and they are going to put it in production. I think that it might end up the best all round ignition. Lee

Do you think he'll make a large rifle primer version of the Variflame. I like the variflame idea because you dont have to take any meat off of the Breach Plug! There is something about milling out substantial chunks of metal off of the barrier between me and the explosion in the barrel that is not to apealing to me!

I tried with an Austin & Halleck with small pistol primers in 32H&R case.

Couldn't get ignition. Tried with 209 breechplug, got hangfires.

Back to tripple 7

Well I am sure you know there are some differences between the shorten 6mm and the vari flame, so I expect that they will conduct some experiments to be sure it is feasible before considering production. I hope it goes alright, I would like to try it also. Lee

Latest posts

Back