Pics from the Loshbough Hog Hunt!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a great hunt with a great bunch of guys! I can't remember a hunt where everything went so perfectly on Saturday. They brought out the dogs first thing because of the weather forecast for Sunday. The dogs got on the pigs immediately and bayed them just like the textbook. It's fun to see the dogs working the hogs. I'm always amazed about how tough the pigs are. Sorry no pics. Cameras don't work so well when the memory card is missing. Thanks again guys. I had a great time.

Harry1 said:
That was a great hunt with a great bunch of guys! I can't remember a hunt where everything went so perfectly on Saturday. They brought out the dogs first thing because of the weather forecast for Sunday. The dogs got on the pigs immediately and bayed them just like the textbook. It's fun to see the dogs working the hogs. I'm always amazed about how tough the pigs are. Sorry no pics. Cameras don't work so well when the memory card is missing. Thanks again guys. I had a great time.

It was great meeting you Harry! Maybe we can hunt together again some day.

I had a great time on the hunt and it was a privilege to meet Chuck, Harry and Spencer (and the Marine Corps has great reason to be proud of Spencer...he is completely squared away, and he even smiles now and then, except when a camera is pointed at him).

The three of us enjoyed each others' company greatly and had some great conversations about stuff like battleships, colonoscopies and even muzzleloaders.

I had never been on a preserve hunt for big game before and had shunned them around home because they usually operate on small acreage and release one animal at a time to be hunted.

So, I was relieved and impressed to find that at Loshbough, the enclosure is huge (480 acres) and rugged (steep hills, big woods, several streams and a small lake) and that the hogs are free-ranging within the enclosure. There are about 200 hogs in the area and they naturally reproduce and live as wild animals. I did not see any hogs while hiking the property unless they were run by the dogs.

The hunting experience at Loshbough can be as strenuous or easy as the hunter wishes. I am sure that a handicapped hunter could get a hog pretty easily over a bait of some sort. On the other hand, it would be an adventure to simply still-hunt the area alone, and there would be no guarantee of a quick or easy hunt. The 2 hunters who were there before we got there had done that the first day of their hunt, and only one of them shot a hog. The other took a hog with us the next day.

I drove 1000 miles to get there and only had one day (Saturday)to hunt, plus the weather report for the next day was bad. We decided to expedite the hunt by asking the guide to give us a hound hunt. The dogs were very well-trained and cover alot of ground quickly. They bayed quickly, and we took 5 (our 4 plus the other hunter's) hogs in a few hours. You had to be very careful to time your shot to avoid hitting a dog.

All of the animals we took were impressively large, sleek and healthy. I didn't ask about the bloodlines but they appeared to be Russians to me. The shooting experience could be pretty exciting. None of the hogs dropped on the spot (two of them went right down but then got up again) and I had to dodge 2 wounded hogs that ran towards me. Spencer used my Ruger Old Army to finish his hog, even though it was well-hit by his first shot. Ranges were short and it was ideal for an iron-sighted muzzleloader (or a handgun or archery, for that matter).

I was very satisfied with my equipment, a Knight KRB-7 with XS Ghost Ring iron sights, using a 495 grain No Excuses lead conical bullet pushed by 95 grains of Goex 2F blackpowder. My bullet was the only one that completely penetrated a hog (and it may still be going, as far as I know). The No Excuses conical is a real rifle bullet, not a glorified pistol bullet, and it shoots very well out of my Knight. I use XTP's and sabots for deer hunting, but for the big stuff I like a big bullet.

The lodge was beautiful, well appointed and equipped and immaculately clean. The staff and guides were very personable and helpful. The price was very reasonable. Processing and taxidermy are available nearby and service was quick. The meat looks terrific. My freezer is now full of pork, just like the federal budget.

I made new friends, saw some beautiful country and shot a big animal. Can't think of a better way to spend a weekend.

Here is a short video I took of Chuck shooting his hog.

wildhobbybobby
[/url][/img]

Great post Bob! It was great meeting you too. Thank you for your dedicated service to the great state of Michigan! I hope to one day hunt again with you.

good little video there too... pretty interesting stuff.

Sounds like a great time was had by all. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Had I paid attention and known someone from Michigan was going, I'd probably have some pork in the freezer also!

Congrats fellas! 8)

Looks like the Hill Bros. went Trad.... 8) :wink: What were the rifles and loads?? (Chuck,,Harry??)

I like the vid, chuck!!
Just one question....
How much if you kill the dog? :shock:
Seriously....are you told these things before you start the hunt?

Kinda wish I would have gone... :cry:

Spitpatch said:
I like the vid, chuck!!
Just one question....

Plan on it next year Spit. 8) :wink: Been there 3 times. It's a blast... 8)

Looks like a large time was had by all
Congrats on the fine porkers

Batchief909 said:
Spitpatch said:
I like the vid, chuck!!
Just one question....

Plan on it next year Spit. 8) :wink: Been there 3 times. It's a blast... 8)

I wish I could make it next year. Unfortunately the USMC will have me shipped off to Okinawa, Japan by then. I'm trying to talk the wife into going with me before we ship out. Maybe in several months. I might try to time it around the time my mounts are done so I can pick them up while I'm there. We should have all this meat eaten by then. :D

By the way... We had the tenderloins for dinner tonight and they were phenominal!!!!!! :D

It was GREAT to meet you both, Spencer and Bob! It would be great to get to go hunting with you too again! I had a BLAST meeting the two of you and I REALLY enjoyed myself! As Harry said...I don't think I have EVER been on a hunt where things went so PERFECTLY!

Spencer...let me know when/if you go back and I'll try to come!

Spit, Bat, others....we going back next year for SURE! :D

shooting

way cool video! That holdong what await for clearance. The heart just keeps pumping.

big6x6 said:
It was GREAT to meet you both, Spencer and Bob! It would be great to get to go hunting with you too again! I had a BLAST meeting the two of you and I REALLY enjoyed myself! As Harry said...I don't think I have EVER been on a hunt where things went so PERFECTLY!

Spencer...let me know when/if you go back and I'll try to come!

Spit, Bat, others....we going back next year for SURE! :D

I definitely will. I told a Master Sergeant I work with about it and now he wants to go. It'll probably be in about 5-6 months.

Congratulations to all ..nice write -up ,i am glad to see that the BARNES .250 gr did it's job ...

black powder said:
Congratulations to all ..nice write -up ,i am glad to see that the BARNES .250 gr did it's job ...

It did but I think I'll use the 290g next time... Just in case....

Back