trying blackhorn for first time

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superglide

Reaction score
just looking for a little advice.i have been using t7 powder,my best load is 90grains by volume with xtp 300 grain and crushed rib sabots, shooting 1 inch groups at hundred yards.i am wondering where i should start with the blackhorn.i want to try this powder because i have been reading of less swabing between shots(shooting 50cal omegaz5)with t7 its almost impossible to load a second shot even with the crushed rib sabots.im hitting the range tomorrow and any help will be appreciated :D
thanks
nick

at 90g.t7 i would think blackhorn will be an even swap,blackhorn isn't more powerfull till you go over about 120g. vol.
karl

In my Omega the 300 grn .452 XTP and Crush Rib sabot shoot best with 110 grns of BH209. I would start at 90 and go up 10 grains at a time and see what it likes. If you are getting 1" groups with 777 I think you'll find a load that will do the same with BH209.

After shooting tomorrow, clean your breech plug's "flash channel"--the area between you primer and the flash hole--really well. It will cake up with carbon from the primers. I use Hoppes #9 and an 1/8" drill bit for my Omega's breech plug--this is the only "con" to BH209 besides price IMO.

Do a search about BH209 and cleaning and you should find lots of info.

I love BH209 and threw out the last of my 777. No more crud ring, and no swabbing between shots.

Have fun

Make sure you are using a full strength 209 primer and not one designed for 777.

DC

i have drill bit,and welding tip cleaner.i been using winchester 209 primers(blue box)i just started doing this last month and i love it,its so much fun :D i tried to post pictures from my last range session but couldnt figure out how to post from photobucket not to computer savy.ill have someone show me and i'll post.everybody on this site is so much help,ive learned so much and want to thank everybody!!!!im hooked and want to get another muzzleloader,any suggestions?
thanks
nick

Superglide said:
i have drill bit,and welding tip cleaner.i been using winchester 209 primers(blue box)i just started doing this last month and i love it,its so much fun :D i tried to post pictures from my last range session but couldnt figure out how to post from photobucket not to computer savy.ill have someone show me and i'll post.everybody on this site is so much help,ive learned so much and want to thank everybody!!!!im hooked and want to get another muzzleloader,any suggestions?
thanks
nick
If I was looking for another Muzzleloader i would for sure take a look at the new Optima.

Latest posts

Back