First ML deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILikeAsbestos

Reaction score
Last year I picked up a .50 Cal Genesis at Cableas at a price that wouldn't make me feel too upset if I found out that muzzleloaders weren't for me. This past Monday was my first ML hunt and it lasted less than an hour from the time I got out of my truck till I had a doe on the ground. Using a 275 grain Maxi-Hunter and 100 grains of BM3 I dropped the doe in its tracks at 110 yards using iron sights. Since it was sunset on a cloudy day all I saw after pulling the trigger was smoke and flame, after the smoke cleared I didn't see any movement so I figured I must have missed but I moved forward to search for a blood trail. It came as a pleasant surprise when I found the deer laying exactly where she stood a few moments before. The maxi-hunter had gone through the center of her neck just in front of where it meets the chest.

I'm hooked.

Congrats

GD for you! Hard work and a little success brings that rush that all of us ML hunters live for.

congratulations on the deer. Those Genesis are good rifles. I think you know that already.

cayuga said:
congratulations on the deer. Those Genesis are good rifles. I think you know that already.

It seems to do a decent job of throwing T/C Maxi-Hunters though I have been debating an "upgrade" to a T/C Omega.

ILikeAsbestos said:
cayuga said:

It seems to do a decent job of throwing T/C Maxi-Hunters though I have been debating an "upgrade" to a T/C Omega.

Ask some of the forum memebers that own Omega's, how well they throw conicals? I personally think for the money, you have a great rifle. Mine sure shoots well. Although I do have a Black Diamond XR that shoots 460 grain conicals real well.

But if you want a conical thrower, get a White. That is if you can get any White owner to part with one. They have to be the best conical shooting rifle I have ever owned. And they just do it time after time.. kind of boring to shoot a White. It always seems to go off, it hits where it is pointed, and they are built like a tank.

Cayuga,

Thanks for the advice on the Omega and White, I'll look into both. Here in Colorado we can't do sabot rounds during the ML season so anything that can't shoot conicals is useless to me.

Latest posts

Back