CVA Missouri Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB

Reaction score
A friend just picked up a CVA Missouri Rifle for his bride-to-be. I've got to get it cleaned up and work up a load, so I was wondering if anyone might know right off the top of their head what the rate of twist is on this particular rifle-gun? I figure 1:48, but that's only my guess.

I have one from the early 80's and it's been the one I have used the most. It is not marked on my barrel but a catalog from that time period specifies 1:66 twist. Mine shoots ball very well and does equally well with LEE REAL 250g cast.

Back in the early 80's there was no telling what rifle barrel twist some of those rifles had. There were 1:48's, 1:66, 1:32, it was a mess. The CVA Mountain rifles were 1:66, they had a Hawkins then which was 1:48. I never heard of the one you got. I tried to look it up but could not find any information on it, Thank goodness Holyokster has one to help you out.

I would simply clean it real well and then try about 70 grains and a patched roundball and see how it does. Work your load up from there.

.50 PRB load

That's what I had planned on trying. Back in the late 70's I was shooting a Charles Daly Hawken with a 1:48 twist and she was deadly with 70 gr. of FFFg. Well actually, none of us had a powder measure back then, but somebody told us that a 30-06 casing held 70 gr., so that was our standard.

Back