Thompson hawken .54

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_MTNman

Reaction score
While on my hunt the outfitter had a couple of old rusted out muzzleloaders and said I could take any one of them if I wanted, so I grabbed the one with that was in the best shape and it's a Thompson center hawken in .54 cal. I plan on getting a new barrel its beyond any repair I could give it. I am currently working on getting the rust off the hammer and the tang piece and sanding the stock and re applying a new finish.
20190713.jpg

20190714.jpg

I am going to have to get a whole new barrel, is there any recommendations for a barrel? Is there any benefits to a .58 over a .54?

I found a colerain barrel in .58 cal 1" straight octogan 36" 1-66 twist with a 3/4-16 thread that I am leaning towards if it will fit my stock i just have some measurements to make to see if it will fit my stock

Green Mountain use to make “Drop in” Barrels for the TC Hawken and Renegade. They did so in Fast (Bullet) and Slow (Roundball) Twist, From .32 to .58 Cal. They made These Barrels in both 15/16” and 1” Across the Flats. Your .54 Hawken stock is 1” the .45/.50 Hawken’s are all 15/16” And ALL TC Renegades were 1”

You can stil find these things from time to time, but they can bring a MINT though. If you do a Search on Ebay For Green Mountain Barrels there will likely be something on there. It seems like the Going price when you find 1 of these in New, or like New condition is 250-300 Bucks. You might check Track of the Wolf for a GM Barrel, I believe they Stil Have some? But might be 15/16” only though? 

The Fast Bullet Twist line of these GM “Drop in” Barrels Will have an LRH after the Caliber, The .45 LRH is 1:30 Twist, the .50 and .54s were all 1:28 Twist. The Slow Roundball Twist Barrels will Just say the Caliber, and I believe are all 1:70 Twist? I don’t own any of the Roundball Barrels (Wasn’t my interest) But i do own all but 1 Fast Twist Bullet Barrel that GM made. They made a “Sharp shooter” Barrel in .50 Cal 1:24 Twist, i never could get my hands on 1 of these. They even came with a Malcolm Scope. Toby Bridges is the only person i have seen with 1 of these, But I know others had them. A friend of mine in South Dakota Owned 1 of them.

Rice Barrels is another Outfit that can/will make a “Drop in” Hooked Breech Barrel for a TC Stock. I own a Fast 1:20 Twist .451 Rice “Drop in” Barrel, i have it in an Old .54 TC Hawken Stock. My Rice is 1 of the most accurate Sidelock Muzzleloader Barrels i own, I give it a Slight edge over my Green Mountains. Rice is Expensive (400 or so) But they are DARN Good Barrels. Good Luck! You will Find a Barrel  :Red tup: 

As mentioned above, Robert Hoyt can Rebore a Barrel and Put whatever Twist you want in it? So this is definitely an option, He can even Re Line a Barrel. He Did one for me back in the Winter, it was 120 bucks plus actual Shipping back to you. When you Receive the Barrel back it will have the Bill with it, That was the way it was with mine anyway. I had to spend quite a bit of time polishing my Hoyt Re-Bore, is was on the Rough Side.

I think Track of the Wolf has a few drop in TC barrels in their “Closeout” area.

You could have it bored out by Hoyt to a smoothbore and add a turkey gun to your collection...
I'm going to do this soon, find a pitted bore from an old Renegade and then have it bored out to a 20 ga.

So I ended up getting a .54 renegade barrel and for some reason it just won't fit and I've tried sanding down the channel and still just a no go, so for now it will have to go in the corner of the shop and wait for something else

Maybe you got a bbl in 1" across the flats and you needed a bbl 15/16"
.check that out

I picked up a Green Mtn barrel in .58 for my TC .54 Hawken. Make sure you measure across the flats for barrel channel fit. These barrels should drop in with little fitting. I had to remove about a 1/8th from the barrel rib.
Shown here in the pic are two TC Hawken .54. Top is with .58 GM
Bottom original .54
7DEA2111-06D5-4A62-AFA1-09E731D42E85.jpeg

Latest posts

Back