this years garden got a slow start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkthrower

Reaction score
img_1712.jpg

the monsoon rains didn't really pick up here until middle of last month -but, we have some veggies and spices in spite of over 100 days+ of no rain!​

when God said, man will wrestle the ground for food or something like that he was right. i used to think their was perfect places for gardening. now i know its hard to garden every wheres. every place has its draw backs. most of mine is good but not every thing. muskmelons and strawberries did really poor this year. my watermelons and grapes and wild plums went nuts.

yup! the wheat got about 6 inches high then browned and shriveled. Grapes went crazy here too, and this year might be really good for grape starts. Tomato and summer squash I started way late in hope the summer rains would keep them from drying off like the wheat did. I didn't bother with the lower garden or the corn or beans. There's just not been enough consistent rain or even cloudy weather this spring and summer....... Up until the rains started the mule deer were ravaging my trees, grapes, and anything green because everything else on our mountainside was dead and brown. but it's amazing how fast everything greened up when the monsoons came!

i was talking to the check out lady 2 days ago at the food store. she said she has table grapes and concord grape vines. she said they went nuts and she has gallons and gallons of them. then a lady in line said same with her. i am the strength coach for 3 highschool boys who are into sports and the 14 year old said his watermelons went nuts and he has never seen them as good as they are. i have a crimson sweet water melon out in the patch that is twice as big as crimson sweets get. i wish i knew the reason why for all the things that happen in the garden. my winter squash is going to be a bumper crop also. thats my favorite of them all. natives lived and survived on winter squash and it is the best survival food that taste good their is. a few years back i read where some educated pros.were digging up a old northern wisconsin indian site found some squash seeds that were 700 years old. they planted them and grew a squash like the pink banana. well it all turned out to be a lie. one of them got some squash seed from a local tribe and said he had bound them in a clump of dried moss. they are a good squash and have been their for many many years but were not found in a clump of dried moss. my pink bananas are as good or better than that squash and the candy roaster squash from you all gardeners from the south have about the same thing in a candy roaster squash. candy roaster and pink banana and guatamalan blue are closely related. you would love them if you grew them and like winter squash. they make a great pie. central new mexico is like the country i live in. hot, dry and high. it is hard to garden in this type of country. this year we got the rains but central new mexico didnt. my back up is a good well im over the ogalala water and it is a good source of water. we live in a high desert but the water under the ground is very very good water.

Back