Question about Bore buttons

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
I have been hearing that the use of "bore buttons" has been seen to improve the accuracy of many muzzleloaders.
Since I don't use a PRB for hunting, I am wondering if bore buttons are compatible with hollow base conicals. For example, if I were to use the Hornady Great Plains bullet, wouldn"t the bore button prevent the base of the bullet from expanding to fill the rifling, or possibly even lodge itself in the hollow base? I can see this would not be a problem with a flat based bullet like the T/C Maxi-Ball, but I wonder about hollow bases.
So, do you think I would gain anything by using a bore button, or should I leave things alone?
I have also read that using these things helps to prevent fouling build-up, and makes reloading easier. This, in fact, would be my main reason to use them. Anything that make reloading easier is always worth a try.
Has anyone had any experience with this combo, and what were your results?
Thank you all

Bore buttons are one of them things that the only way you will know if it works is, try them. Normally in a hollow based conical they are not used, but you never know. I do use them in a couple rifles under patched round balls, and when I shoot Triple Seven powder with patched ball.

Go ahead and use the bore buttons with your great plains bullets. They do improve the groups and I also use the great plains bullets with them. There is not enough of a hollow base on them to cause any problem (more of slight cup), use the bore buttons.

Latest posts

Back