225gr AT PB in .45 Cabelas Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Finally i put some Powerbelts through her! I could not get any other conical to shoot worth a darn in this rifle. The 240gr Maxiballs gave me a best group of 4" @ 50 yards, the same with the 285gr great plains.

I shot this today off my shooting sticks @ 50 yards in poor light. 70gr Pyrodex RS and the 225gr Aerotip Powerbelts. This will be my nephews hunting load.

Also the holes taped at the bottom with clear tape were my first 3 shots with my 58cal cva mountain rifle. The tan tape was also from the mountain rifle, 3 shots and i need to swab to keep tight groups.

1 7/8" group. I plan on shrinking that tomorrow. I have to fill some buckets with sand so i dont loose my lead.
Picture530.jpg

That's a pretty good group there FG. A light adjustment to sights, and you should have a good rifle for your nephew. That load should really smack a deer good.

hes actually sighted in dead on, my eyes are so out of wack.

I had it sighted in dead on @ 100 and when he shot it, he shot to the left 6" I will leave it until he can shoot it this spring break.

I think I would try 300 gr Plat in that one with the 1:24 twist. Have you tried that combo yet?

No, Not yet, but i plan on it. I am going to try the 275's again. I shouldnt really get worried over the groups. I am not shooting off of a bench right now so i need to remind myself of that LOL.

2" group at 50 offhand in poor light might be about as good as I could do with open sights...

These shoot MOA of better for me with 100gr T7 3f out of my Kodiak Pro. The 275s shot nearly 3" at 100. I prefer the 275 for on game performance. Blows through them leaving a quarter sized hole. Did he ever shoot anything with the 225s? I'm curious how they performed.

Latest posts

Back