Renegade - PRB's @ the farm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well, it started out sunny, but cool, we had a bit of wet slushy snow overnight - but what the heck it looked good outside. By the time I reached the farm it was closing down and the wind was coming up... but I was there so I was going to shoot.

As I was setting up it cleared up again - really nice sun light, but the wind was still blowing - it always blows at the farm.

I had removed the 'V' peep and put a Lyman 57 SML peep sight on and really wanted to get the gun sighted in. I had bore sighted at the house so I Knew I was good on paper @ 25 yards. Popped a few caps and loaded up the first round. I decided to shoot at a clump up the hill with the first shot to foul the bore. I lasered the clump and it was 87 yards. Took my shot and was pleasently surprised how close I was.

Next the target... first two shots were 8:00 low. Adjusted the peep and fired #3... good enough for right now. Shots 4&5 were really great. THEN the law of Semisane took effect... #6.

After that I placed pigeons at 25 - 50 & 75 yards and started shooting, but by now the wind had really came up and it was spitting soft hail at me, but I continued. Shot the two 25 yard pigeons off hand and one at 50 but it took two shots.... so I went back to the bench - shot the next two one shot each.... 75 yards proved to be a little tougher. I was able to gauge Kentucky elevation fairly easily. I held just below the bird but my ability to work Kentucky windage was terrible. And the worst part it changed from shot to shot. I suppose since I was only shooting 60 grains of T7 - it was easier for the wind to move the ball.

April 5 is the first date for PRB shooting - gotta have it ready to go by then...

Here is my 25 yard target with the Semi error.... :wink:

09-03RenePRB.jpg

Yeah that is good shooting! I really like peep sights but don't really know how well I would do with them hunting...especially during low light...

big6x6

Yep! I was thinking the same thing... I would bet I would end taking the apeture out and using the larger opening as something like a
ghost ring... but I think I would also need/want a fiber optic front sight.

shooting

how are those apertures on old eyes? Can't use a scope in PA. Also in early loght, does it afect sight or shooting early and late? I've been thinking abut one for my flint Deerstalker.

papines

I have not used a peep for hunting since i was a young kid, but just for the heck of it I'll try an experiment in the morning and let you know...

I've had three peep sights on different rifles. Only one wears a peep sight now. In early morning where I hunt it was not too bad because the sun came up and highlighted the area where I was going to be shooting. BUT at dusk, you know those last few minutes when it seems all the deer walk out to wave good night.. that peep was just terrible. I hunt cedar, balsam, and black ash tree groves. Shadows are dark and deep in the thick (as we call it.. where all the alder grows). There were times, while with my eye I could see the deer, I could not get a sight picture and had to let it walk.

And a RED DOT is not the answer either. I have two of them as well. I went to 1x scopes which are legal in my State.

cayuga

I would like to second your experiance with the 'red dot' I had one installed on my first Remington and in low light situations it was very difficult to anything other than the illuminated red dot, UNLESS the target was standing in your lap.

When I used to hunt with a peep sight during periods of low light conditions I would remove the aperture and use the sight as a "ghost ring".It worked out fine. I also carry a larger aperture when needed in my patch box.

Latest posts

Back