This evenings action from the tree stand.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
7 minutes and 25 seconds into the call, this little fox comes trotting up the shooting range trail.

He stood about 3 feet from the pheasant feather "decoy" that was fluttering in the light wind. I popped him through the neck which traveled into the chest and exited the lung. Fox made it 30 yards.

I skinned him almost perfectly! 1 tiny hole by the eye and 1 even smaller by the nose. SUPER happy! Just washed the hide and fur in a little dawn dish soap water and about to run out and wash him out before drying the fur and stretching him.

Took the fox with an old Remington model 514 .22 - open sights and a 33gr Remington Yellow Jacket HP bullet. Theres still one more fox left to get! 10 minutes later I was back out there calling when another fox starting an odd sound. Turns out it was the "gather up " sound they make to bring in other foxes.
100_2916.jpg

100_2917.jpg

:cheers: ...Having called-in fox before myself that must have been very exciting!
Winter calling is an awesome way to enjoy the outdoors during the off-season :Red tup:
My  Marlin .22 Magnum with hollow-points was enough to put fox down while still kind to the pelt.

Thanks gents. Its a thrill when they come in. Wish I had done this years ago!

Washed the pelt with a little dawn dish soap and got all the blood and fox stink out of it. Tomorrow I will flesh it and put it on the drying board.

Also have to sight in the Henry .22 survival rifle. I have a simple 4x scope on it. I'd like to try some head shots since they are so close.

Interesting you’re predator hunting from a tree stand. That might be more common back east but can honestly say I’ve never heard of anyone doing it out west. Sounds like fun!  What are you using to call with?  Any plans for the pelt?

last winter every inch of rail of your large deck had a coon or coyote, the front part, was packed with these critters hanging from it. now that matt is in college he doesnt have time to hunt and trap. he shot  trapped and called and was very good at all of these. it drove my wife nuts and in late winter she layed down the law, sell them and sell them now. a couple of years before that in was into hunting rabbits. dozens of jack rabbits and little brown one were all over the yards and the out side cats were fat. that drove my wife nuts also. he ate lots of the brown ones and my wife would deep fry them in oil. him and his buddies would eat them all up.  one year i practice a distress call of a young deer with no call but my own mouth. i learned it from the internet. it brought a big doe in close to me very fast but no bucks came in. i tried it on a group of about 30 antelope and they exploded in a run away from me. it really got to them.keep us posted on your results of calling animals in. once in a while a man from this end of the state drives by my house with several grey hounds in the back of his pickup. i talked to him once. he said he drives around until he sees a coyote and stops and says go get him and they are off like a shot and catch and kill the coyote. i think that would be a lot of fun. those dogs sure looked like a happy bunch. they are always smiling from ear to ear. i drove by where he lives once about 20 miles from back in a canyon. i was going 30 miles an hour and they were bouncing along beside me smiling up at me with extreme ease.they are a very happy dog. any body here hunt with them?

I use a foxpro inferno. Because im hunting in the back yard, openings are scare and the ladder stand gets me up over the cedars and pinon trees where i can see my shooting range and other smaller cuts ive put in over the years.

Pelts I will eventually hang on the wall. Just make a nice collection of them.

FrontierGander said:
I use a foxpro inferno. Because im hunting in the back yard, openings are scare and the ladder stand gets me up over the cedars and pinon trees where i can see my shooting range and other smaller cuts ive put in over the years.

Pelts I will eventually hang on the wall. Just make a nice collection of them.
They've come a long way in electronic calls since my earlier days.  Back then we would tote bulky operated cassette players with 100 feet of wire to an external speaker horn.  

What prey sound did you select in your FOOXPRO :?:

Adult cottontail. It has 75 preloaded sounds plus you can load more. Getting ready to go up in the stand. It snowed all day yesterday.

FrontierGander said:
Adult cottontail. It has 75 preloaded sounds plus you can load more. Getting ready to go up in the stand. It snowed all day yesterday.
Good luck!  I live at 8500 feet and we have gotten a lot of snow the last 24+ hours.

Awesome job on the Fox! They sure are a neat looking creature! I wish we had them around here, i would enjoy hunting them! I have been playing around with Coyote calling here, i have a Foxpro game caller as well, mine is the Wildfire 2, i bought mine from Allpredatorcalls.com and had them preload the most popular sounds on it for me, for Coyote and Wolf. These things Work AWESOME in the right setup!!

My friend and I went out early this morning and notta! It was snowing lightly and was a heavy wet snow. 12" in most places out back, so I wasn't to surprised that nothing came in. Maybe tomorrow it the snow stops I will get lucky again.

:Questuon: ...Lots of reasons why notta, but I wouldn't imagine sound traveling as well when its snowing either.

That's a good point about the sound travel. If its nice tomorrow, I plan on going out again. Today was another snowy day, not much, just didn't feel like sitting out in the flurries lol.

Jonathan you may want to remove the word Trapping on this topic title because of this, something to ponder ....

Trapping is legal in [font=arial, sans-serif]Colorado[/font], though voters approved a constitutional amendment in 1996 that made leg-hold or gripping [font=arial, sans-serif]traps illegal[/font]. Live [font=arial, sans-serif]trapping[/font] is legal under the state's furbearer regulations for small game, and once an animal is [font=arial, sans-serif]trapped[/font], it must be euthanized, says Randy Hampton of [font=arial, sans-serif]Colorado [/font]Parks and Wildlife.

Awesome idea FG...Thanks for adding this forum!
Buck does have a point about trapping, as I personally don't consider this a "sport" having trapped myself in the past with both leg-hold and conibear traps. 
Many of us varmint hunt as well to keep our shooting skills up.  Since all predators are not varmints and vice-versa, what do you guys think about the name PREDATOR-VARMINT HUNTING Forum :?:

I not removing a thing. There are many other states that allows trapping, Colorado is one of them. All states have their rules and regulations that we follow. I never said I trapped this fox so why would I remove trapping from the forum? Its for predator hunting AND trapping use. I don't want to take up more space on the forum with something that's not going to get used an entire lot.

Well fudge! I gave him a salt bath today and a couple hours later, i went and started fleshing him real good. Rung him out, washed him with some nice smelling anti shed shampoo. Took him inside and was washing him out and noticed he had a huge bald spot on his head.... :x

The hair was slipping all over and very easily.

Last time I do that! From now on, flesh right away, luke warm salt water bath, stretch on board, leave it alone!

live and learn.

FrontierGander said:
Well fudge! I gave him a salt bath today and a couple hours later, i went and started fleshing him real good. Rung him out, washed him with some nice smelling anti shed shampoo. Took him inside and was washing him out and noticed he had a huge bald spot on his head.... :x

The hair was slipping all over and very easily.

Last time I do that! From now on, flesh right away, luke warm salt water bath, stretch on board, leave it alone!

live and learn.
Bummer on the Hair Slip!! Hard to judge size by photo, How big are these Gray Foxes? How much would a Large one weigh? They sure are a neat Looking critter! That Tail!!

Back