Catch a Gold Dot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After hunting season ended this year, i started playin' with breech plug modifications of the plugs in my Omega, and Accura. I have since fired 100's of shots at paper. For awhile i was shooting xtp bullets, and then as time went by i found some Gold Dot bullets for about the same price as the xtp, and because i liked the Gold Dot for hunting, i decided to just shoot them at paper instead of the xtp. I have found a pile of the xtp bullets on the hillside behind the target. A few are intact, but most are pieces of jacket, and pieces of lead laying around on the ground. I have found 2 45 caliber Gold Dot, but have never found a 44 caliber Gold Dot behind the target. This led to a strong desire to try and catch a 44 caliber Gold Dot.

This morning i cut some boards, and bundled them up to help in the capture of a 270g .44 Gold Dot. Also filled a couple laundry jugs with water. The idea was to shoot the bullet through the water and then the boards, and find the bullet in the back of the bundle of boards. Here is a picture of the trap.

P3221306.JPG

Wife came along to take pictures, and she did a fine job 'capturing' the action as shown here.

P3221307.JPG

P3221308.JPG

P3221309.JPG

P3221310.JPG

The trap didn't exactly work as planned. The bullet went through the water jugs just fine, but then it evidently started to turn, and only hit the edge of the front board, and veered off escaping the trap. This made me sad, and we spent some time looking for the bullet. I got tired of that in a bit, and decided to bundle the boards again for another try, even though i didn't figure there were enough of them to stop a bullet. She continued looking for the bullet to no avail, and i put the boards up the hillside to get it further away from the rifle.

When i came back down, and picked up the rifle to reload it, i saw the bullet laying on the road. It had turned right angles, and stopped on the road about 15' away from where the jugs and boards were sitting. So i was now happy because we had achieved our goal, even though it wasn't exactly as planned.

After reloading the rifle i fired it at the bundle of boards, and of course the bullet blew right through them. I wandered up the hill aways beyond the busted up bundle, and there laying on the ground was the bullet.

Here are pictures of the bullets.

P3221363.JPG

P3221364.JPG

P3221365.JPG

The bullet on the left is the one that went through the water jugs, and it weighs near 269g. The bullet on the right went through the boards and bounced on the ground some, and it weighs near 225g with a little bit of wood imbedded in the face.

Ive got the 300gr .45 Speer soft points and the 300gr 50cal GoldDots. The boxes look a bit different but are basically the same. Both are plated. The weight deviation is very good compared to other plated bullets.

They hold together great too

I got some .475 275gr DeepCurls back ordered im gunna try too.

Great bullets for the money.

BTW i like using a full milk jug then 2 totally soaked full sized phone books the a dry phone book at the back if needed. Adding a piece of particle board a few inches into the wet phone books is cool too. Kinda simulates a shoulder blade.

Very few bullets will make it through it if you do it right. The full jug in front is the key to slowing them down and the nice mushroom.

GM54-120

Ive got the 300gr .45 Speer soft points and the 300gr 50cal GoldDots. The boxes look a bit different but are basically the same. Both are plated.

The only real difference between the to bullets is the 300 grain SP is a .451 Uni-Core and does not have the copper point inside to control expansion

Shoot they do not even indicate that they are Uni-Core anymore - sure hope they are.. but really I am sure they are....

sabotloader said:
GM54-120

Ive got the 300gr .45 Speer soft points and the 300gr 50cal GoldDots. The boxes look a bit different but are basically the same. Both are plated.

The only real difference between the to bullets is the 300 grain SP is a .451 Uni-Core and does not have the copper point inside to control expansion

Shoot they do not even indicate that they are Uni-Core anymore - sure hope they are.. but really I am sure they are....

They appear to be. I think the slightly cupped base is on both. Its the only thing i dont like cause it can be hard on sabots.

BTW the box i used to send you those samples was from the 300gr 45s i have. I didnt see Uni-Core on it either but i think Speers site says they are.....i think

Thats odd im 99% sure mine were soft points because i just arranged my ammo boxes and all my big HPs are XTPs and Rainiers.

I will have to check again later.

Yep its a soft point 45 300gr with a cupped base. They dont show my 50cal GoldDots either but now the are Called DeepCurl instead of GoldDot Hunting.

GM54-120

Shoot I never even looked at the detail... they ARE a flat soft point they are not a HP - or they weren't maybe they are now....

sabotloader said:
GM54-120

Shoot I never even looked at the detail... they ARE a flat soft point they are not a HP - or they weren't maybe they are now....

Looks like they are now, My box was fairly old i think. My GoldDot 300 50s are a HP and look nasty too. :D

From the ones called Jacketed HP/SP on the new box

All Jacketed Handgun Bullets now feature Uni-Cor? technology.

From the new DeepCurls AKA GoldDot Handgun Hunting

Speer Bullets electro-chemically bonds the jacket to the core to create a tough bullet for the harshest of conditions.

Looks like they are all some form of Uni-Cor and not all DeepCurls are HPs, some are SP too according to the new website info. I thought all the new hunting line were HPs.

My LGS (Grafs) sells most of them for under $20 for 50-100 depending on weight which isnt bad at all for a bullet that performs so well. I really wish they made a 200gr 40cal DeepCurl. :D

COOL PICS!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I use the 270gr GD w/ 130gr 777 in my Black Diamond XR. No wonder nothing has gone more than 2-3 steps. I picked up some 240gr GD soft points to try in my standard Black Diamond. I'm hoping 110gr 777 will shoot good.

What I can't figure out (and I'm not complaining at all) is how a bullet can do a TON of internal damage, but not much meat damage. All my shots have taken out ribs or shoulder with an exit hole the size of a quarter or bigger, but the blood shock is only about the size of a silver dollar.

I used to use XTPs with really good results, but the bullets seemed to fragment. I was finding pieces in places they shouldn't be. I switched to Gold Dots and won't go back. I'm thinking I was pushing the XTPs to fast. But the Gold Dots seem to be more effective. Most of the deer I shot with XTPs did not drop immediately and some minor tracking was needed. ALL have dropped immediately with the Gold Dots.

I think I contradicted myself. Only one deer I've shot with the 270gr GD has taken 2-3 steps. All the others dropped in their tracks.

What type of accuracy are you guys getting with the Gold Dots?

Flhtr said:

I'm getting sub 1" groups @ 100 yds using a 270gr GD, 130gr 777 pellets, MMP sabot, and Alcan primers in my Black Diamond XR (and formerly my Encore). My dad gets about 1.5" - 2" groups using the same load out of his Lyman Mustang.

My Dad also has a Pedersoli Tyron w/ a peep sight and uses 90gr 777FF w/ the 200gr 45cal GD. I can't tell you the groups he gets, but I witnessed him shoot 2 eggs @ 75 yds (and only took 2 shots) and put 4 out of 5 in the X ring @ 50 yds and the 5th being just outside the ring at a slug shoot.

I picked up some 240gr GD soft points to use in my std Black Diamond. I'm hoping 110gr 777 will give me good accuracy, but I'm also going to try 100gr 777.

So I guess you could say that they can be amazingly accurate with the right load (of course anything can be though). But combined with the hurt they put on deer, they're hard to beat.

Flhtr said:

This morning i went out and shot these two targets at 102yd.

omega44dot.jpg

Those in the top target were 44 caliber 270g Gold Dot bullet from the Omega.

The following target is from the Accura with a peep sight mounted, and the bullets were 45 caliber 300g Gold Dot.

accura45dot.jpg

Latest posts

Back