Lyman Great Plains rod doesn't go down all the way

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthefarm

Reaction score
I always thought that the rod should be the same depth/length as the barrel. I just received this rifle new in the mail. Could something have been left in the factory? Is there a good way to verify no blockage and all is OK before I try it.

A new rifle... and you are sure it is not loaded. Put your finger by the nipple and blow with your mouth down the barrel. Now if there is any doubt that the rifle might be loaded, do not do that.

As for the ramrod, check the ramrod channel. Make sure there is no obstructions in the channel that is keeping it from going all the way down into the channel. If you have not cleaned the rifle yet, it might be full of packing grease and that is why the ramrod will not go all the way down the barrel.

Now understand that some rifles the tip of the ramrod still sticks out the end of the barrel. Even more so if you have a large cleaning jag on the end of the ramrod.

Just checked my .54 cal GPR. The ramrod sticks about 1" out of an empty barrel. Easier to grab it that way. It is flush with the muzzle when in the ramrod channel. Same with my custom Hawken. On most traditional muzzleloaders, it is no problem to have a full length ramrod channel, unlike many modern styles.

Thanks all. I also ran a rod with lube down the bore quickly and I can hear air from the percussion cap. I think it's clear and ready to go!

As Cayuga said, make sure you clean the barrel well before shooting. Most of us use break cleaner on a new Lyman barrel to remove the heavy packing grease they use. Have fun.

onthefarm... also your rifle has a cone shaped breech. So once in a while take a .30 caliber cleaning brush on a cleaning rod and dump just a small amount of solvent down the bore. Then push that loose fitting rod down there and twist it clockwise. This smaller brush will fit the cone and will knock all the powder off the walls of the cone. Then just clean as normal.

Although normal cleaning does a real good job of doing it for you.

Back