patching bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7mmfreak

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried paper patching conicals, like in BPCR, in a muzzleloader? Would there be any advantage to it instead of a properly lubed bore sized bullet? I have a rifle being built and am brainstorming ideas for bullets and loads.
Thanks,
Keith

I did paper patch minnie ball once because their accuracy was so bad. After I paper patched them, their accuracy was still not to my hunting standards. I normally go with a slip fit conical and get much better results, lube and all.

Idaho Ron's posts got me thinking about quick reloads using paper patched bullets.

I have done this with great accuracy with round balls.

http://webpages.charter.net/fam-strick/web/PaperPatch.htm

Than after seeing Ron's article, I tried some bullets, this is a link to the targets.

http://webpages.charter.net/fam-strick/Target-11-09.pdf

PP Bullets shoot clean and are cheap to make.

I am going to re-cut an old mold today an make my own 450 grain smooth sided slug to Paper Patch.

The key is to get a bullet .009 smaller than the bore. Add .008 in two wraps of paper and a .001 for clearance to load.

Bruce

"Has anyone ever tried paper patching conicals, like in BPCR, in a muzzleloader? Would there be any advantage to it instead of a properly lubed bore sized bullet?"

Keith, I tried this once with a Lee .50 cal. 320 gr. REAL bullet because it was too small for the bore of my Knight Bighorn. Needless to say accuracy was poor. Paper patching improved the fit and accuracy, but it was hardly a tack driver at 50 yds. Paper patching can be used to maximize accuracy and allows you to push pure lead bullets to a higher velocity without leading your bore. Such bullets, as opposed to those cast of wheel weights and 1% tin, will reliably expand, making them very useful for hunting. However, paper patching takes a bit of time to master and adds another step to casting.

The only advantage I could see would be that the paper became a jacket to prevent leading. Modern paper is abrasive as it contains clay. With a good lube and alloy, leading isn't a problem. Card wads, and possibly beeswax wads or a grease cookie(bullet lube) sandwiched between wads to act as a gas check are another option.

BTW, I HAVE PPed bullets and loaded them in cartridges. 43 Mauser loads from mid 1880s pulled apart had fg card wad, grease cookie, card wad and PPed bullet. The powder was black and glossy like Swiss or Goex Ctg.

Back