Pellet loads only, not loose, off target....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet10

Reaction score
Could someone please explain this to me. I went the range today to sight in my new scope (Leatherwood Hilux 3-9x) with my favorite hunting load: 2x50 grain T7 pellets and 290 gr. TEZ. First shot (50 yards) about six inches to the right of POA but dead on elevation wise. So I start conservatively cranking the windage to correct (about 8 clicks or 2 inch correction). Second shot maybe moved one inch to the left. I repeat correction as above with again similar results. Third shot another inch or so movement to the right. Now I'm getting worried of running out of adjustment after over 20 clicks and not much headway not to mention being concerned that my new scope could be defective. So in frustration I load up with another of my favorite loads; 80 grains of Pinnacle 3f and 460 gr. Nex conical. Now all of a sudden I'm dead on-POA=POI. I then try loose 3f T7 and 290 gr. TEZ and, again, I'm dead on with this load also. So why would the pellet loads be off and the other loose powder loads be on target windage wise?.....

I read that pellets are not as consistent as powder.Maybe 2 pellets are to much?When I shoot pellets I use 30 grain ones,and load 90 grains of em.They were pretty much on the mark,but groups were bigger than when I shoot powder.I also noticed with pellets I got fliers even tho I swore I shot good.With powder I haven't got a flier yet.Some use only pellets,and shoot dead on with them....I wonder if they loaded powder if their poi would change?

Try the gun again using the pellets. The adjustments on some scopes kind of stick and do not respond to an adjustment right away. After making your adjustments try lightly tapping on the turret with your short starter or another light object.

If you are able do some pressure testing on the pellets, I tried some for a while and found some were very erratic. I really can not say why, maybe they sat on the dealers shelf to long. I do know that the boxes do not seal like a can does and that all the subs except Pyrodex and Blackhorn 209 show some sensitivity to moisture. Lee

The pellets were from a brand new box. I used to always use pellets with my sabots but after this experience and using loose T7 3f for the first time I am a new convert to loose powder. In addition, T7 loose was quite accurate from my KRB with sabots (about 2 inches avg. at 100 yds.) and even more accurate with the conicals making several groups in the 1 inch range at the same distance....

I switched form 777 pellets to 7772f this year and I noticed a different POI and better groups. The versatility I can get with the loose powder is a big plus even though I found my best load with 240 gr PR Dead Center is 100 gr of 777, supposedly the same as the pellets I had been shooting.

I am curious to why you are adjusting your scope at 50 yds using the 1/4 ' per click ratio. At 50 yds one click of adjustment would equal something a little less than 1/8" movement of POI.

You bring up a great point, willi-b. That would certainly explain why my POI barely bugged after my adjustments and is really a result of my lack of experience sighting-in a scope. However, that still doesn't explain why only the pellet's POI were off. I would more easily understand if the POI difference between the pellets and the powder was on the vertical plane...

Hatchet10
When any powder burns erratically in a muzzle loader it has the peak pressure in different spots in the barrel, this causes the circular whip or vibration to change and will throw shots in all directions.
Al guns which have rifling vibrate in a circular pattern because of the stress put on the barrel when spinning the bullet.

Almost any change in ANYTHING when shooting a ML can change POI in any direction. Different powder, bullet, primer, seating pressure, swab, not swabbing, and on and on can potentially change POI to some degree.

I too noticed the scope issue but also you need to shoot at least 2 and preferrably 3 shots before moving the scope. Changing the scope after every shot can lead to "chasing" the bullet around the target. Shoot for accuracy first and then sight the gun in.

Weight your pellets and put them in groups that closely match, and your groups will tighten up. Loose is a better way to go.

For some reason pellets are not as consistant as powder.Moisture.packing,manufacturing problems,improper ignition all are problems. This why m/l is a challenge. :roll:

Back