Best bore oil ? ? ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Etienne Br?l

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know what is "the best" oil you use for the BORE of your BP gun and why.

Your best and your worst...

Etienne Brule

Any of the high quality gun oils will work. I like Birchwood Casey Sheath, Montana X-treme gun oil, and Rem oil with Teflon. All of them work real good. As long as your bore is clean and dry, the higher end gun oils will work just fine.

I wipe my down with 3 in one oil. Nice light oil, and you can buy it just aboup anywhere.

I can't keep rust out of my barrel.I use rem oil after i give it a bath. Even tried bore butter! :cry:

bernieg said:
I can't keep rust out of my barrel.I use rem oil after i give it a bath. Even tried bore butter! :cry:

Find some Flitz polishing compound and give it a good scrubbing. Afterwards, use a wet patch with the rem oil, give it a few minutes to dry and then use one dry patch to mop up excess oil.

I have had real good luck with Knight oil. If you use bore butter, ya got a make sure the bore is 100% dry or you'll have rust.

After a thro cleaning and drying I use WD 40 it was desined to be used for anti rust.

Flatlander.54 said:
Ballistol...once I tried it I refuse to use anything else.
:prayer:

ABSOLUTELY! From patch lube to cleaning to final wipe down. I buy both the aerosol and the concentrate in the pump/squirt bottle....I have put aside everything except the hardcore bore cleaner/copper solvent for my C.F.'s. Only one downside-wife does not care for the smell....funny....I love it! Harder to find up here in the Northeast, but there is no better product, it's safe, (well, OK, aerosol IS aerosol) and it's reasonably priced!

Remember that WD-40 evaporates-great for dissipating water, but will not remain protective. Spray a metal surface with each, and then check them again in a month....or more.....

GreenMtnHunter said:
Flatlander.54 said:
Ballistol...once I tried it I refuse to use anything else.
:prayer:

ABSOLUTELY! From patch lube to cleaning to final wipe down. I buy both the aerosol and the concentrate in the pump/squirt bottle....I have put aside everything except the hardcore bore cleaner/copper solvent for my C.F.'s. Only one downside-wife does not care for the smell....funny....I love it! Harder to find up here in the Northeast, but there is no better product, it's safe, (well, OK, aerosol IS aerosol) and it's reasonably priced!

Remember that WD-40 evaporates-great for dissipating water, but will not remain protective. Spray a metal surface with each, and then check them again in a month....or more.....

I agree! I use it for just about everything with sidelocks.

I get mine at midsouthshooterssupply.com.

Latest posts

Back