range report. and i'm happy!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefly

Reaction score
ok got back to the range to work out my hunting load. this was shot off a bench with a sleeping bag as a rest gun just laid on it, nothin fancy or sturdy like in the woods. ok gun is a trad pursuist lt. scoped but just to get my load worked out, now that i have what i'm goin to shoot i'm going to put open sites on the gun or maybe a red dot i'm not big on scopes and do alot of ground hunting in swamps 90% of my shots will be off hand and out to 50 yards on occasion maybe 75-100. the load is 90gr. measured of blackhorn with a 45.cal .452 300gr. xtp with a harvester crush rib 50cal sabbot.

1st pic is a 4 shot group at 50 yards and is 1- 1/2 group
102_2896.jpg
[/img]

second pic 5 shot group at 50 yards and is a just under 2 inch group
102_2897.jpg

so i'm really happy with this load and the groups i'm not the best shot by no means but i think i'm doin ok with what i was working with. anyinput you guys can give me on this will be very appreciated. also this will be my 1st season with a muzzleloader huntin deer and hogs in fl.

Well that is some good shooting. As for the RED DOTs.. I had them on muzzleloaders. When it is nice and sunny, they do shoot well. When it starts to get dark or dusk, your vision through mine was terrible, and the dot grew a half moon. With still hunting time left, a deer came in on me and it was so dark through that RED DOT Bushnell Trophy that I refused to shoot. I just could not get the sight picture I needed to say.. pull the trigger.

I was so turned off by RED DOTs, I pulled them and went to a 1x scope. (we are not allowed magnification during muzzleloading season). That worked much better for me. The RED DOTS are now on a handgun and a SKS.

Latest posts

Back