ohio's early M/L in shawnee

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcrik

Reaction score
Any of you Ohio boys participate in the early season at Shawnee State Forest? This will be my first year. What might I expect? Many hunters?

Thanks, mcrik

I use ta head down to the hills at the drop of a hat before I got into bow hunting, some 12+ yrs. ago. Back then it was buck only during early muzzy. You can expect to see a lot of deer and a lot more hunters. Good luck.

gunrac,

Would you say that it was possible to get away from the crowds by walking deeper into the area?

mcrik

I believe ya can. Don't forget your block an tackle. It can be a little hilly.
When I was meat huntin the Wayne during shotgun, I had a favorite flat I hunted around 30 or so yards off the road. I just let everyone else run the deer. It was very seccessful. It's all a crap shoot. Good luck.

I appreciate the info.....this will be a 1st for both of my son-in-laws. 1st time at shawnee for both, 1st time bp for both, 1st time deer hunting for both, 1st time hunting for one of them. So you can see what I'm up against. I hope to have these boys primed and ready by Oct.

mcrik

mcrik said:
I appreciate the info.....this will be a 1st for both of my son-in-laws. 1st time at shawnee for both, 1st time bp for both, 1st time deer hunting for both, 1st time hunting for one of them. So you can see what I'm up against. I hope to have these boys primed and ready by Oct.

mcrik

Lotta green. Might be a good idea to make sure they all know how to read a compass, especially if you plan on goin in deep. I wouldn't rely soly upon a GPS. Mighty broad shoulders you have there. I hope they don't get to heavy for ya. lol

I've hunted Pike and scioto in years past. I loved the terrain but I was a lot younger and lighter. All my deer hunting was with a handgun back then. I then gravitated to a bow for the last 10 years. NOW I'm returning to my roots with B/P where I learned from guys like Dick Ryan, Ron Warnock, Harry Rife, and Tommy Dick. Maybe you know some of these old timers, or at least the ones that are left.

I know the venison pole may not be full but as long as a good time is our goal, I think we'll be successful. I just want to break these boys in right. LOL

I appreciate your input, mcrik

Back